Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: March 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

I am very impressed by the work that all the people mentioned here and probably others have done. I remember the great difficulty that I used to have before I retired, seemingly for at least a week usually, having to walk across the South Capital Street Bridge after a snowfall. Walking also told me how much that bridge shakes.

Post Thanks / Like

From all the wonderful posts on trail conditions, it was sounds like the W&OD from Custis to Shirlington is not very passible. Correct? Any idea on 4MR from Shirlington to Meade?

It sounds like getting from the Memorial Bridge area to the Pentagon via Washington Blvd isn't passible - or not the whole way (that one bridge looked bad. Is that an Arlington Co controlled area?). Correct?

Does anyone know if it is passible from the start of the Roosevelt parking lot (i.e., the bottom of the bridge over the GW) to the humpback bridge area (since there is now a path under and through LBJ to Pentagon)?

The winds (especially gusts) combined with not very clear trails seemed like a bad idea today. Tomorrow is to be lower wind so I am hoping to find a passible route (two days without biking (or other major activity, like walking for hours) is about my max for sanity).

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a CCT (preferably between Chain Bridge and Gtown) or a Towpath report?

Post Thanks / Like

Our path over the LBJ Grove bridge is a lil bit dicey but I didn't need to dismount, with just one 50 foot span of icy stuff to walk over in the grove trail left. A very rideable route considering yesterday night. I'd still avoid MVT north of Memorial and southeast of 14th. Everything else is clear sailing as long as you stay in the streets.

5. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Custis Trail is completely cleared all the way. Can be ridden on any bike. (Thank you, Arlington)

Caution should be taken tomorrow in a few places where standing water will have frozen. In particular, the Spout Run skating rink may be a complete sheet of ice, depending on sublimation, which I would not depend on. Be sure to approach it with extreme care.
    Yes, the Spout Run skating rink was not suitable for either riding or skating. Too much ice for the one and not enough for the other. You could maybe get by on a mountain bike, but I ended up walking. The rest of the Custis was fine.

I had checked out my neighborhood route to the trail last night, and it was fine and in fact completely dry, but for some reason Arlington sent out salt trucks overnight and put a big line of chunky salt down the center of every neighborhood street on the route.

So, thank you again Arlington for taking care of the Custis, but what's up with the salt on dry, clear roads?

7. Likes Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Anyone have a CCT (preferably between Chain Bridge and Gtown) or a Towpath report?
    The CCT from Georgetown to Bethesda has been plowed and is clear and dry! Was the easiest part of my commute.

9. Likes Steve O, TwoWheelsDC, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MVT condition 03/15/17 8-9am

Just rode Mt Vernon Trail from DC to Crystal City.

DC side was great. Once you cross 14th st bridge, it gets a little precarious. Probably 1/3 of it I had to walking due to ice on the roads. Some parts were patchy, other parts were worse and all icy. Proceed with caution, but safest bet would be just not to ride.

Post Thanks / Like

In case anyone is interested in the Metropolitan Branch Trail: it is pretty good between Franklin and M Street as of 8:15 this morning. A few notes:
    1. There are a few really sketchy parts, notably the crossings with the construction/maintenance yard entrances at R and T.
    2. Between R and M, there are a few decent flat/clear icy patches. No real rutting of which to speak, so I was fine rolling over it with 700x40 tires, but a few folks with skinnier tires chose to Flintstone it. (Not sure if it was out of an abundance of caution or necessity.)
    3. The ramp down to M Street, especially in the 180 turn, is dicey.
    4. As always, it's clearer on the southbound side (the northbound side is where drainage fails, so there's a lot more icy build-up).

The M/1st Street cycletrack portion is in good shape; there are a few spots where plowed snow from the road (or sidewalk) intrude on the trail, and a few flat/clear icy patches that I had no issues with rolling over. Just be extra careful for inattentive pedestrians as stopping is harder than normal, especially at the crosswalk between K and H where there's a fair amount of ice surrounding it.
    Last edited by LhasaCM; 03-15-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added time for reference

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly sure I already know the answer ("awful") to my "How's the WOD west of EFC (except the parts that Birru shoveled)?" question BUT...anyone know?

Now to decide if I want to walk from Gallows to Virginia Lane (and take roads from there) or head up to Idylwood...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    Our path over the LBJ Grove bridge is a lil bit dicey but I didn't need to dismount, with just one 50 foot span of icy stuff to walk over in the grove trail left. A very rideable route considering yesterday night. I'd still avoid MVT north of Memorial and southeast of 14th. Everything else is clear sailing as long as you stay in the streets.
    I'm so thankful for you, bobco, and komorebi's great work yesterday. I wouldn't have been able to make it across the channel without you guys shoveling the paths. Seriously, thank you guys so much for clearing a usable path.

14. Likes streetsmarts, Judd, Steve O, bobco85 liked this post