Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: March 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

L Street cycletrack is cleared, making it irresistible for the drivers idling in front of the Hotel RL. Which is a daily occurrence.

2. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was pleased to see that the Capital Crescent Trail is completely clear, all the way from Bethesda to Georgetown.

4. Likes dasgeh, Greenbelt liked this post
    ELITE wheels&wings, Crickey7, ian74 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MVT and GWMP - what got cleared?

We are trying to get a handle on what got cleared on the Mount Vernon Trail this morning. If you rode on NPS GWMP property (pretty much all on the VA side of the Potomac) this morning, can you reply and say where, when and whether the trails had been cleared?

Thanks

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    We are trying to get a handle on what got cleared on the Mount Vernon Trail this morning. If you rode on NPS GWMP property (pretty much all on the VA side of the Potomac) this morning, can you reply and say where, when and whether the trails had been cleared?

Thanks
    4MR @ Reagan National to 14th St. Bridge had zero clearing @ 6:40-7:40am.

What was NPS supposed to have cleared?

8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a contact that drove into DC today and we normally ride the MVT. I can ask for a couple spot checks on the return trip if no one posts up.

Edit: so if you see a subaru driving down the bike path its ok.

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The portions of the MVT that were to be cleared is a bit fuzzy right now. The GWMP staff were to present their plan to reps from a number of cycling orgs in Dec but it was delayed at the request of the NPS.

To keep the clearing effort manageable during the first year(s) of getting them on board, we held back on asking they clear the entire MVT

We suggested (as I recall) that a cleared path from Boundary Channel to the 14th Street Bridge (through the LBJ grove and marina parking lot) and from S Washington Blvd (by the Pentagon) to the Memorial Bridge would build on areas that are consistently cleared by others to connect the bridges to Arlington streets.

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    For anyone interested, I plan on heading over to that spot this evening to do some shoveling. My goal is to clear as much of a usable path between the Humpback Bridge and the 14th St Bridge as possible while the temperatures are still above freezing. I will bring my trailer with a shovel, an ice breaker, and 2 deck-style push brooms. I should be there by 6 and plan to stay for at least 2 hours. Hope to see some of you there!
    You're an inspiration! I can report the W&OD in the city of Falls Church SUCKS. I'm doing what I can but it's slow going. I've got a lane going from the bridge over Route 7 to West St so far. If anyone's local, feel free to chip in.

14. ELITE Steve O, ginacico, Judd, wheels&wings ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    For anyone interested, I plan on heading over to that spot this evening to do some shoveling. My goal is to clear as much of a usable path between the Humpback Bridge and the 14th St Bridge as possible while the temperatures are still above freezing. I will bring my trailer with a shovel, an ice breaker, and 2 deck-style push brooms. I should be there by 6 and plan to stay for at least 2 hours. Hope to see some of you there!
    Bobco, you're awesome. I'll try to join you, if enough of my route from Alexandria is clear.

16. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    You're an inspiration! I can report the W&OD in the city of Falls Church SUCKS. I'm doing what I can but it's slow going. I've got a lane going from the bridge over Route 7 to West St so far. If anyone's local, feel free to chip in.

Dude, that looks amazing! It's going to make a huge difference just to have something cleared before it all freezes tonight. Thank you!

18. Likes dasgeh, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DDOT was out and cleared from the north side of humpback bridge all the way across the 14th St bridge.

So, no need for DIY shovel brigade there.

BUT! the Rte 1 bridge over 4MR (used by the detour) is short but a complete disaster!

Needless to say the ride home (14th St bridge to MVT southbound to 4MR westbound to S. Glebe) was less of a mess than this morning. Pretty easily ridable on 32mm semi-slicks.

Edit: just remembered that the snow blower must've run over something about 1/2 across the 14th St. bridge - there's a bunch of shattered black plastic in the path that was cleared.

edit 2: just to be clear, DDOTs snowblower was attempting to blow snow while moving northbound/eastbound and, therefor blowing snow directly into the 20+ mph wind out of the north, blowing it out over the Potomac, then back over the top of the snowblower tractor, and into oncoming southbound I-95 traffic. Joyous! I chortled.
    Last edited by Harry Meatmotor; 03-14-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: it was fun seeing the snowblower blowing snow over the ped barrier into oncoming car traffic - take that, suckers!

20. Likes jrenaut, dasgeh liked this post