Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: March 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default March 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Go wide or go home.

Should be interesting by tomorrow a.m.

Post Thanks / Like

The CCT wasn't too bad coming home at midnight tonight, at least with chains on my tires. However, there is a tree mostly down just south of the tunnel. And it was still snowing hard, so I make no guarantees about how it will be by morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCTTreeDown.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	14288

3. Likes Birru, huskerdont, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WOD was cleared from Falls Church to the Custis and the Custis presumably the rest of the way. However, about half and inch of snow and slush had built up. Riding on the unplowed WOD was very difficult on 700X38 studs. Fat tires definitely needed, except for Steve O.

5. ELITE Tim Kelley ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MVT around southside of gravelly point and 14th st bridge are tough cause road slush plowed up onto the trail can't really be ridden through. Once you lose momentum it's all over till you can get to a downhill. Felt like it took me 20 minutes to cross the bridge. I was tracks #5 coming through between 7&8am. The ice slush is still loose enough to be ridden through most other parts. Wish there were any on road (plowed) alternatives for getting from virginia into DC but

Post Thanks / Like

Working from home today, but love these updates b/c I think tomorrow is going to suck, with anything on the ground freezing hard. I may take Lee Highway the whole way in to the city.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, this isn't really good snow for riding. It's especially bad wherever you get any kind of road-grade slush sprayed onto the trail. Pretty much un-ridable with refreeze. BTW - 32mm studs up front, 40mm winter top contact out back. 4MR to MVT isn't too bad (1-2" of crusty slush), most sections of MVT are 2-3" of crusty slush.

9. Likes Arlingtonrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Huzzah (sort of)!!!!

NPS GWMP did snow removal from Columbia Island Marina parking lot to the north side of the Humpback Bridge. Clearing of the MVT seemed to continue north towards the Mem Bridge as well. Unclear how far it went.

The "sort of" is that the clearing stopped at the north side of the Humpback and the bridge and the trail up to the 14th St Bridge was untouched.

DDOT seems to have forgotten the bike/ped lane on the bridge.

NPS was hit and miss around the Jefferson. Ramp down from 14th St Bridge untouched, sidewalk cleared till the bridge on Ohio Dr connecting the Tidal Basin to the Washington Channel. If you don't want to put a tractor on the sidewalk, get a snowblower.

11. Likes Harry Meatmotor, Arlingtonrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the snow tires on the heavy load bike and took an alternate route home last night. This future Greenbelt trail probably not rideable today though

13. Likes bobco85, Rod Smith liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If the trails are even as remotely bad as my sidewalk, there's no way I could ride the 12 miles to work. It's only 1.5 inches deep, but was like walking though wet cement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Huzzah (sort of)!!!!

NPS GWMP did snow removal from Columbia Island Marina parking lot to the north side of the Humpback Bridge. Clearing of the MVT seemed to continue north towards the Mem Bridge as well. Unclear how far it went.

The "sort of" is that the clearing stopped at the north side of the Humpback and the bridge and the trail up to the 14th St Bridge was untouched.

DDOT seems to have forgotten the bike/ped lane on the bridge.

NPS was hit and miss around the Jefferson. Ramp down from 14th St Bridge untouched, sidewalk cleared till the bridge on Ohio Dr connecting the Tidal Basin to the Washington Channel. If you don't want to put a tractor on the sidewalk, get a snowblower.
    I'll take this route home, I think. Depending on afternoon temps.