Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin Fail - Is it the time change?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Dumping the files requires one of two things:
    a) hooking up to a computer
    b) manually deleting the ride after auto upload

Both of those things I am too lazy to do on a regular basis. My Garmin probably has about 300 rides on it that need to be cleaned out. I should probably do that soon.
    Geez! It's not THAT hard to do. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Dumping the files requires one of two things:
    a) hooking up to a computer
    b) manually deleting the ride after auto upload

Both of those things I am too lazy to do on a regular basis. My Garmin probably has about 300 rides on it that need to be cleaned out. I should probably do that soon.
    Or c) doing a hard reset. But that does involve putting your settings back in afterward.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin Edge 500 DST problem

Since the Garmin-sponsored Forum for the Edge 500 has been archived, I was looking this morning for others who have had the same experience with their unit and I came across this thread. I rode yesterday (Sunday) and uploaded data this morning. A couple of previous rides (last week and in Feb) showed up just fine in Garmin Connect but the ride from yesterday was nowhere to be seen. I searched and found the archived Garmin thread on potential DST problems (Edge 500 DST bug) - that got me thinking. I had experienced a similar problem last year and, sure enough, when I checked that date it was November 6 (fall back). Here's what happened yesterday: the computer powered up normally and everything appeared fine, I hadn't reset the previous ride from the week before so I reset the computer and all data fields zero'ed out. I normally do a reset after every ride but sometimes forget as on this occasion. Everything looked great during the ride. I reset the computer and powered down when I returned home. It's not clear exactly where the problem is: were the data saved on the computer but lost due to a synching issue with Garmin Connect associated with the change to DST? If anyone has any insights on what contributes to this issue or how to avoid it (other than not riding on DST weekends!), I'd be grateful to hear about them. Also, I'm guessing that those data from yesterday's ride (and the one in November) are lost - unless someone knows of a backdoor!

4. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Monkey View Post
    Since the Garmin-sponsored Forum for the Edge 500 has been archived, I was looking this morning for others who have had the same experience with their unit and I came across this thread. I rode yesterday (Sunday) and uploaded data this morning. A couple of previous rides (last week and in Feb) showed up just fine in Garmin Connect but the ride from yesterday was nowhere to be seen. I searched and found the archived Garmin thread on potential DST problems (Edge 500 DST bug) - that got me thinking. I had experienced a similar problem last year and, sure enough, when I checked that date it was November 6 (fall back). Here's what happened yesterday: the computer powered up normally and everything appeared fine, I hadn't reset the previous ride from the week before so I reset the computer and all data fields zero'ed out. I normally do a reset after every ride but sometimes forget as on this occasion. Everything looked great during the ride. I reset the computer and powered down when I returned home. It's not clear exactly where the problem is: were the data saved on the computer but lost due to a synching issue with Garmin Connect associated with the change to DST? If anyone has any insights on what contributes to this issue or how to avoid it (other than not riding on DST weekends!), I'd be grateful to hear about them. Also, I'm guessing that those data from yesterday's ride (and the one in November) are lost - unless someone knows of a backdoor!
    It looks like the Bike Arlington Forums have become the definitive source on this.

What will Steve O do with his internet fame?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Just because we take no responsibility doesn't mean we didn't do it.
    Good one Judd!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

All this talk = why I'm hesitant to get a Garmin/equivalent device. It's hard enough to remember to a) charge phone; b) turn on Strava c) turn off strava if I take metro or walk..... adding another device overwhelms my already overworked brain!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    All this talk = why I'm hesitant to get a Garmin/equivalent device. It's hard enough to remember to a) charge phone; b) turn on Strava c) turn off strava if I take metro or walk..... adding another device overwhelms my already overworked brain!
    I actually find it to be the opposite; the garmin is easier. Particularly for me, because it is mounted on the bike in plain sight (I know some people have mounts for their phones, but I don't). I worry about running the battery down on my phone on any medium to long ride; the garmin will easily last for a century ride.
    One downside is that mine (the Edge 500) has to be connected to a computer to download rides. Some newer models have bluetooth.

10. Likes Jenkinms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I worry about running the battery down on my phone on any medium to long ride; the garmin will easily last for a century ride.
    My phone lasted through the Hains Point 100 pretty easily with Strava running. However, yeah, I don't want to mount it on the bike, so a Garmin would be good there, yet I feel like streetsmarts in that they seem like a hassle. I may still be moving over to the dark side eventually/reluctantly.

12. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    My phone lasted through the Hains Point 100 pretty easily with Strava running. However, yeah, I don't want to mount it on the bike, so a Garmin would be good there, yet I feel like streetsmarts in that they seem like a hassle. I may still be moving over to the dark side eventually/reluctantly.
    I find the Garmin easier as well. Plus you can see what time it is and speed.

I've had battery life problems on the phone when it's cold. Plus I have the phone feeding the Bluetooth speaker on the bike and sending text messages to the Garmin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Plus I have the phone feeding the Bluetooth speaker on the bike and sending text messages to the Garmin.
    You are still riding a bike, aren't you? Will the Garmin create a windshield for you too?

I still have old-fashioned bike computers mounted for speed and such, so the Strava is just to play around with at this point. But if I got a Garmin, I could get rid of (counts fingers) five different bike computers with all their failing batteries. But then I remember how yours wouldn't upload or was showing crazy routes straight through the Pentagon, and others with similar problems, and it makes me reluctant.