Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Fail - Is it the time change?

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin Fail - Is it the time change?

I used my Garmin Edge 500 to record the Doughneuring Extravaganza #2 today. When we got to Duck Donuts I turned it off. When I restarted it, it just said "working" and would not move forward. I turned it back off and recorded the rest of my ride with my phone.
    When I got home I connected it to my computer and there is no record of the ride. Nothing. Wheels&wings had the same thing happen to her this morning. At least one person on line speculates that there is something with the time change that messes it up.

I used Recuva to search for deleted files on the Garmin and it found this:
    Name:  recuva.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  61.0 KB

The time stamp on the first two is about the time I tried uploading. The time stamp on the other two is about the time I restarted the Garmin.

Note the files are really tiny, though, smaller than 1kb, so I doubt they contain the information from the ride.

Any geniuses out there with suggestions?

amendment: here's a link to a discussion page where people report similar problems: https://forums.garmin.com/archive/in.../t-346837.html
    Last edited by Steve O; 03-12-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The most frequent cause of problems with Garmin devices of that vintage is running out of storage. I obviously don't know if that is the case with yours, but some Garmin devices a few years back did not have adequate ability to deal with running out of space. You might try deleting your history (after making sure all of your rides have been uploaded) and see if that helps.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem this time, though. Particularly since w&w probably has a total of fewer than a dozen rides since a factory reset and I tend to clean mine out every now and again.
    Given that this happened to both of us on our first ride after the time change makes me suspicious that it's a software bug with Garmin.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I think I have about 60 rides on the Garmin. Is that too many? If so, how do I empty it out? (thanks!)

But yes, my experience this morning was identical to Steve O's... the Garmin timed out in the grocery store, and then when I turned it back on, it just said "Working." I stood there on the street corner 'til finally I gave up and pushed the start button again, which deleted the ride I was doing.

Komorebi says that team 10 takes no responsibility for the sabotage...

5. Likes Sunyata, kwarkentien, Judd, komorebi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    Actually I think I have about 60 rides on the Garmin. Is that too many? If so, how do I empty it out? (thanks!)

But yes, my experience this morning was identical to Steve O's... the Garmin timed out in the grocery store, and then when I turned it back on, it just said "Working." I stood there on the street corner 'til finally I gave up and pushed the start button again, which deleted the ride I was doing.

I just do a factory reset every once in a while. You should be able to figure out how to do that for your particular model with a quick Google search, if you don't know how already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post

Just because we take no responsibility doesn't mean we didn't do it.

8. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem this time, though. Particularly since w&w probably has a total of fewer than a dozen rides since a factory reset and I tend to clean mine out every now and again.
    Given that this happened to both of us on our first ride after the time change makes me suspicious that it's a software bug with Garmin.
    I didn't have any issues with my Garmin today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Just because we take no responsibility doesn't mean we didn't do it.
    Two words ... Plausible deniability.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't have any Garmin issues with the changeover to DST. But about a week or so ago, my Garmin 520 wouldn't turn on. Even though I know it had a nearly full charge. I was able to do a re-set and everything was fine. And all my settings were the same so nothing was lost in the process.

And why do y'all keep all those rides on your Garmin? I pretty much dump mine once I've downloaded to Strava.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    I didn't have any Garmin issues with the changeover to DST. But about a week or so ago, my Garmin 520 wouldn't turn on. Even though I know it had a nearly full charge. I was able to do a re-set and everything was fine. And all my settings were the same so nothing was lost in the process.

And why do y'all keep all those rides on your Garmin? I pretty much dump mine once I've downloaded to Strava.
    Dumping the files requires one of two things:
    a) hooking up to a computer
    b) manually deleting the ride after auto upload

Both of those things I am too lazy to do on a regular basis. My Garmin probably has about 300 rides on it that need to be cleaned out. I should probably do that soon.

13. Likes wheels&wings, Steve O liked this post