Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal City Wednesday Night Spins

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3-15-17 Highlights

I took a few photos and threw them up on Flickr. Photo album here.

2. Likes Steve O, drevil, Tania, Sunyata, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good meeting you Birru!

(note to self: skinsuits make your butt look big )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    (note to self: skinsuits make your rockin' glutes look big )
    Fixed.

Good meeting you too!

5. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking photos! You managed to capture the two full seconds that I did not have a look of terror on my face!

7. Likes Birru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Thanks for taking photos! You managed to capture the two full seconds that I did not have a look of terror on my face!

Ha! Whereas I look terrified even though I was having a blast. Next week I'll bring the fast cx bike I think. I'll either move up a few places or crash. It could go either way.

[Also, I may be obsessively researching my tire choice for next week...]
    Last edited by Tania; 03-16-2017 at 08:54 AM.

9. Likes Birru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was on my road bike with slicks for my first race there the other week. Last night I rode my cross bike with some brand new file treads I just got. I was sometimes getting a concerning "tire screeching" noise as I was going around turns last night that had me worried I was about to bite it. Still, I think I felt a little more safer/confident going around corners. On the other hand, I was definitely working harder/going slower with my heavier cross bike than I was with my road bike. So it was probably a wash. Also, full disclosure, I came in second to last in the race last night.

11. Likes ian74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TriGirlSara View Post
    I was on my road bike with slicks for my first race there the other week. Last night I rode my cross bike with some brand new file treads I just got. I was sometimes getting a concerning "tire screeching" noise as I was going around turns last night that had me worried I was about to bite it. Still, I think I felt a little more safer/confident going around corners. On the other hand, I was definitely working harder/going slower with my heavier cross bike than I was with my road bike. So it was probably a wash. Also, full disclosure, I came in second to last in the race last night.
    That "screeching" noise was the knobs on the side of your tires catching. It freaks me out too, but I keep telling myself to trust my tires to grip. Telling myself that helps me to not slam on the brakes when I hear the noise, but it definitely has not helped me lean the bike more and go faster around those sharp corners.

*sigh* One day... One day...

By the way, you did great out there! You always looked stable and confident when I saw you. It was a definitely a fast field last night. I think I got lapped by Britt three times.

Since Freezing Saddles will be over, and I have somewhere to be after the race, I am going to drive and bring my rigid mountain bike next week. I am curious to know how much better I handle the corners on flat bars. I am not sure about tires though. I may just leave my knobbies on, even though they will be SLOW. I also have some less aggressive tires that I might try (but they are still knobby and 2" wide).

Post Thanks / Like

I think the leaders lapped me twice and at that point I had no idea where I was in the field!

My tires (Rock and Roads - wide, even knobbies) only screeched in one spot and it was a strange one. So towards the end of the lap, you thread through the pillars (reminded me of a dog agility course - those poles!) and then make a hard right, go a short ways along a narrow path and then a super tight 180 degree turn to the left and then up a small incline that veered left a bit? At the top of that incline was a decently wide left hand turn. EACH TIME I turned left there at the top of the incline my tires howled and I almost became besties with a pillar.

After a long discussion with Bikenetic, I'm going with G-Ones next race on the CX bike. No side knobbies to potentially roll and I can use them as an all-rounder off-season tire. Jan is a very patient man. [He tagged my order "Concrete Queen"]

One thing I learned this race is that while I come in pretty hot to corners (I do love them!), I tend to wait too long to pedal out of them. I realized this towards the end of the race when I got lapped and then tried to hang on the lapping rider's wheel. I noticed she was pedaling MUCH sooner out of them than me! Good lesson.
    Last edited by Tania; 03-16-2017 at 12:44 PM.

14. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reassuring me on the screeching noise, @sunyata! Every time I heard it, I slowed down and pulled up out of my turn because I was worried. I'll corner a little more confidently next time knowing this is normal. And yes, it was a fast field last night! But I had fun and it was good practice for me.

16. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only ever tried the CCWNS courses on my fixed gear, so I go slooooooow. Less because of traction and more because my fixed gear is a track bike with lots of toe overlap. But I'm just generally too chicken to race since I'm afraid I'll slide out and kill myself and maybe someone else. But maybe I'll ride my gravel bike next week and see what it's like when I can coast.