Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal City Wednesday Night Spins

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crystal City Wednesday Night Spins

All the cool kids have been going to the Crystal City Wednesday Night Spins on Wednesday nights in March. Wednesday Night Spins is a bike race in a parking garage in Crystal City. Several Freezing Saddles folks raced last week. Acme Pies sells yummy pies and there's also beer for sale. Come out and buy me a beer!

When: Every Wednesday in March
    Where: 201 12th St. S, G4 Level, Arlington, VA 22202
    What time: First race starts at 6:30

If you want to race, registration is here: https://www.bikereg.com/crystal-city...-night-sprints

Someone shot footage of the open category race last week: https://youtu.be/2jLtUa2S3EY

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Also photos from March 1
    http://www.brucebuckleyphotography.com/Sports/Cycling/

(and lots of photos from previous years)

Judd told me that he would buy you a beer if you mention this thread.
    Last edited by Steve O; 03-10-2017 at 04:29 PM.

3. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

5. Likes kwarkentien, Birru, Judd, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This counts for Butterfly points!

This is a super fun time. I highly recommend everyone come out and watch me ride around in circles with terror in my eyes. (*I will not crash, I will not crash, I will not crash*)

Last week, you could have seen me get taken out by a 10 year old and flounder on the ground unable to get unclipped from my bike. It was pretty hilarious.

And if you show up this week (March 15th), you get butterfly points!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Austin-Bike-Zoo-Butterfly-Bikes-500x281.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	14275

7. Likes Steve O, Judd, Amalitza, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The women's race is not sold out yet! If you are a woman, instead of *watching* us ride around in circles with terror in our eyes, you can *join* us!!!!

I did this last week and did not die. I, as recently mentioned in a different post, was once voted "most clumsy" by my high school senior class. If I can do this and not die, you, also, most assuredly, can do this and not die.
    Last edited by Amalitza; 03-13-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: actually i do know what social butterfly points are

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I signed up for tonight's beginner race, but I'm feeling rough right now. I think I pushed myself too hard this weekend and my lungs are still sore and full of the good stuff and can't stop coughing. Plus I'm going out west on Sunday and don't want to damage myself any more than I already am.

I know there's a slim chance, but anyone know if I can postpone my entry to tonight's race until the one 2 weeks from now? Or who I can contact?

Post Thanks / Like

If I can make it out there, a few more questions since I've never done this race:

1. If I drive there, can I park in the garage where the race is happening?
    2. Is parking free?
    3. Can I get there earlier (like mid-day) to park?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    If I can make it out there, a few more questions since I've never done this race:

1. If I drive there, can I park in the garage where the race is happening?
    2. Is parking free?
    3. Can I get there earlier (like mid-day) to park?
    You can park in the garage. It is free after 4pm. I do not know how much it costs before 4pm.

If it matters-- purely for myself, I did not find last week's race to be particularly challenging physically. Admittedly this is because I am a great big scaredycat with relatively poor cornering skills so my speed was limited by my desire not to crash rather than my physical strength to go fast. YMMV on this point.

13. Likes drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amalitza View Post
    You can park in the garage. It is free after 4pm. I do not know how much it costs before 4pm.

If it matters-- purely for myself, I did not find last week's race to be particularly challenging physically. Admittedly this is because I am a great big scaredycat with relatively poor cornering skills so my speed was limited by my desire not to crash rather than my physical strength to go fast. YMMV on this point.
    Thank you, this helps. It's relatively cheap so I won't bother trying to postpone my entry. If I make it, I'll do the race and just not...

(just wanted to get that ear worm out there )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    I signed up for tonight's beginner race, but I'm feeling rough right now. I think I pushed myself too hard this weekend and my lungs are still sore and full of the good stuff and can't stop coughing. Plus I'm going out west on Sunday and don't want to damage myself any more than I already am.

I know there's a slim chance, but anyone know if I can postpone my entry to tonight's race until the one 2 weeks from now? Or who I can contact?
    There's an "Email Promoter" button in the BikeReg registration confirmation email that takes you to a contact form. I'm not sure about transferring but I emailed last night about refunding my fees for the beginner race (not going to make it in time) and Bill responded very quickly.

16. Likes drevil liked this post