Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike to Work Day on May 19th Registration

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    I was also thinking of taking the day off. Maybe a bike fun Club ride after all the pitstops???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    If I end up skipping Dirt Fest this year, I would be down for a Bicycle Fun Club ride after the pit stops. I always take BTWD off from work because of Dirt Fest, but it is conflicting with Kanza training (this will be my last big ride weekend before my taper) this year.

2. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Yes, and I've already planned my route! This year, I plan to do:

Home (Alexandria) -> Del Ray (registered) -> Shirlington -> Crystal City -> Georgetown Waterfront -> Rosslyn -> Ballston (if I can make it in time) -> Work (Ballston)

The tricky part about doing multiple pit stops is that you have to manage the times that each will be open (e.g., Del Ray opens at 6, Shirlington opens at 6:30, Crystal City opens at 7, and Georgetown Waterfront opens at 7:30, so I chose that order), so that makes route-planning more complex. Also, it means waking up EXTRA early and having made arrangements for a late arrival to work. Also, if you're visiting multiple pit stops, don't take very much swag so that there will be more for others.

FYI for those planning multi-stop rides, here's what I did in previous years. It might help you with planning your routes.
    • 2016: Home (Alexandria) -> Oxon Hill (National Harbor) -> Old Town Alexandria -> Carlyle -> Del Ray -> Shirlington -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • 2015: Home (Arlington) -> Shirlington (new that year) -> Penrose Square -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • 2014: Home (Arlington) -> Rosslyn -> East Falls Church -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • 2013: Home (Arlington) -> Rosslyn -> Ballston -> Work (Ballston)
    • Here's a playlist of the videos I made for each year's BTWD: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2pg3KKitk9K-ns

Bike to Work Day is an always exciting and enjoyable event, and it's well-worth waking up early.
    Your route this year sounds good. I have only been to the Old Town pit stop before. Sounds like fun!!

4. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    I was also thinking of taking the day off. Maybe a bike fun Club ride after all the pitstops???

This can probably be arranged.

6. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how my Department runs the budget cycle, I am hoping to take the day off and hit up as many pit stops as I can. I would happily join for a fun club ride after! I'm a fan of Crystal City and Rosslyn especially. I always get the best swag there. I want to check our Shirlington this year too since Best Buns is delicious, and they'll hopefully help sponsor it again.

I hope Arlington does another BTWD happy hour. The one last year was fun, and I love my commemorative glass.

8. Likes Judd, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year, I managed Naval Support Activity Bethesda > National Institutes of Health Bldg One > Rockville Town Center > Rockville Twinbrook > Bethesda > Friendship Heights > GoldenTriangle Farragut Square > National Geographic Society. And then Columbia Heights in the afternoon. Alas, this year, I actually need to get to work!

10. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year I did Shirlington>CrystalCity>CanalPark, which I kind of like because its my actual commute. I might try to do Shirlington>Penrose>CrystalCity>CanalPark.

The idea of taking the day off has some appeal, though I still have the nagging idea that this is, you know BiketoWorkDay.

12. Likes bobco85, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Details , details.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Last year I did Shirlington>CrystalCity>CanalPark, which I kind of like because its my actual commute. I might try to do Shirlington>Penrose>CrystalCity>CanalPark.

The idea of taking the day off has some appeal, though I still have the nagging idea that this is, you know BiketoWorkDay.
    The Penrose stop was pretty lame last year, which is a shame since it's half a mile from my apartment.

I did Penrose > Crystal City > National Geographic last year. Crystal City was my favorite since it was the culmination of BTWW and lots of my friends were there. The Nat Geo stop was good too. Lots of activities going on there and they had a raffle.

15. Likes streetsmarts liked this post