Thread: S Washington Blvd Bridge Bike Detour

Post Thanks / Like

Default S Washington Blvd Bridge Bike Detour

Hi. A number of other bike trail construction detours have grabbed attention, but this is an important one- the S Washington Blvd bridge, over VA 110/Jeff Davis Hwy. This is the trail/sidewalk that connects the Pentagon with Memorial Bridge and Lady Bird Johnson Park. The bridge rebuild has progressed to where they are now working on the side with the trail/sidewalk. Remember that? Scary narrow, broken concrete, nothing between you and 50mph traffic, dangerous drops between sidewalk and guardrail. Scary to ride, terrifying to walk. And I led *nighttime* bike rides through there, because there was no better direct route.

Behold the detour: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170305_152716.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	14121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170305_152734.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	14122

SO-O much better.
    There remains a problem- the road lane shift and the barricades mean the previously excellent sightlines between road and trail traffic are *gone*, until this project is completed. There *is* a warning light system (note the beg button) to try to lessen the risk of crossing the offramp to the Pentagon North Lot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170305_153046.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	14123
    Last edited by Starduster; 03-05-2017 at 11:30 PM.

2. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

While it is great that they are expanding the trail's width it is absolutely insane to expect peds and cyclists to cross highway exit/entrance ramps esp with poor sight lines (before the construction began). I always take the eastern route along Boundary Channel Drive and the Connector Road to avoid those dangerous crossings. Tunnels and/or bridges are needed badly.

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    While it is great that they are expanding the trail's width it is absolutely insane to expect peds and cyclists to cross highway exit/entrance ramps esp with poor sight lines (before the construction began). I always take the eastern route along Boundary Channel Drive and the Connector Road to avoid those dangerous crossings. Tunnels and/or bridges are needed badly.
    The exit ramp crossing is pretty challenging. I find that cars generally yield but with the speed of the traffic there's not much margin for error. Going towards DC requires a look over the shoulder when crossing. I usually take the exit ramp and head to LBJ Memorial Grove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I cross through there almost every weekday (also taking exit ramp for LBJ), and while I won't be here to disagree with myself should I meet my end there, I find that crossing even with the detour less scary than much of Columbia Pike. It is not ideal but you can see them turning and once they do turn, they see you. My two cents.