Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking wheel advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seeking wheel advice

Happy Friday! I recently relieved DKel of his old Wolverine frame, and now I'm deep in the weeds of researching how to turn that frame into a full bike that I can take on gravel, on overnight trips on the towpath, and to the occasional cross race.

I've spent a while talking to the (super helpful) folks at Bikenetic and I think I'm going to end up outfitting it with a SRAM Rival 1x11 drivetrain, and I have almost everything figured out except for the wheels.

They recommended going with some pre-built 29er wheels, but they estimated the set of wheels + tires comes out to ~$850, which would put me over my budget.

I'm thinking about trying to start out with a cheap wheelset that will get me rolling and leave some of my budget left over to buy a framebag or something, with the expectation that I'll upgrade the wheels soon-ish down the line. I don't know much about wheels, so I'm a bit in over my head here. I do know that the frame takes quick release wheels and disc brakes, and that the 11-speed cassette requires a special XD driver. Any advice where I could start looking?

I also like DIY projects and have done a bit of research on building my own wheels. The youtube videos make it look tedious but easy, but it requires some special tools - is that even worth considering as an option to save some money?

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

What tires do you want to use/what did the shop recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have tires yet, so I'm pretty much a blank slate. I don't know anything about tubeless, but I assume with-tube is cheaper. I'm not worried about getting tires thin enough to be cross-legal for now- I think I'll want extra width for everything else.

The shop recommended 40mm Clement Xplors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Seeking wheel advice

I've got Easton EA90 XD (I think now called EA90SL) wheels on my gravel bike and they're awesome. I think they run about $500. I'm running them tubeless (with Clement X'plor MSOs 700x36) but you can run them with tubes if you don't want to commit to tubeless...but buying tubeless ready wheels will make the change sooooo much easier if you decide later.

Edit: I'm running the Eastons with a Rival 1x11 drivetrain, so we could be twinsies!
    Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 03-03-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I've got Easton EA90 XD.
    I got one for the front. It's terrific. For a while, Nashbar (I think) had them for under $200.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

No, no, no. $850 is cray cray unless you are doing carbon.

Here you go. http://bdopcycling.com/DIY%20Alloy%2...%20Kit%20V.asp

$350

There is also a centerlock version of those.

Those are well reviewed rims: tubeless ready, asymmetrical for better tension balance. And Novatec are solid, easily serviceable (and light) hubs. Those have the better bearings and the anti-bite guard which is nice. I used the predecessor to those in my previous road wheels and they were great. I am gonna rebuild my current road wheels to use Novatec (instead of Bitex).

Heck, November's latest wind tunnel report shows these are just as fast as Zipp 303s for the typical yaw angles.

Or wait for the Gousseau rims (I am doing that for my next wheelset).

Either way, much better than a factory-built wheelset.

I will build them up for you for a 6-pack in support of dkel's awesome frame :-)
    Last edited by hozn; 03-03-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just out of curiosity

I've heard good things about these:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/colle...-24deep-24wide

With the lower exchange rates, I've been more interested . . .

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antennariidae View Post
    I've heard good things about these:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/colle...-24deep-24wide

With the lower exchange rates, I've been more interested . . .
    Those are also using the same Novatec D771/D772 hubs. The rim profiles are nice, though, for gravel -- a little wider, also offset. You're right that with the exchange rate it's only $100 more than the BDOP Kinlin/Novatec kit. Not a bad price.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for all of the helpful advice! At those prices, I might start considering upgrading the stock wheels on my road bike someday too!

How should I compare the assembled hunt wheels to hozn's generous offer to assemble the bdop kit? Looks like the biggest difference is the 19 vs 20 mm rims? I assume those are functionally the same, and could both handle up to 2.1 mtb tires (not that I'd necessarily want that, but per this chart I could: http://engineerstalk.mavic.com/en/th...ght-rim-width/ )

I weigh 160 and will probably someday load up with touring gear. If those options will be functionally similar in those conditions, then it sounds like hozn's solution is the answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Coming from a happy customer, I've gotta recommend November, too. Mostly because they have one of the most non-bullshit marketing and customer support positions in the aftermarket wheel industry.

Free socks

Coming in May, some really cool rims (AForce33s)

According to Dave K., the rims are going to be available a la carte, and they're also going to be offering BYOH (bring your own hubs).