Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seeking wheel advice

Post Thanks / Like

One more ... Velocity has a disc touring wheelset for $425.

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/w...-disc-wheelset

The tire clearance on the Wolverine is 45mm with fenders and there are a lot of nice 700c tires in the ~40mm range from Soma, Compass, Schwalbe and others.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, November is another great choice. They also use those same Novatec hubs for their builds -- though they also have more expensive options.

The new Aforce rims sound cool, though the wind tunnel test showed they weren't any faster than the XR31 Kinlin rims. But I think the Aforce rim is welded seam which is a bit nicer. The Aforce rim will also be available from BHS and others, but if the Kickstarter pricing is any indication, it will be overpriced. I am waiting on the Gousseau rim from BDOP.

Probably not a big difference between 19 and 20mm inside. The Hunt might be a nicer rim than Kinlin and perhaps a bit lighter. But obviously costs more. $350 is a great price for the BDOP kit; it's hard to beat that value proposition IMO.
    Last edited by hozn; 03-04-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

One more!
    http://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Roa...o-xt-disc.html

I have these rims and they are very durable, and versatile. They will take tires from 28-45mm. The xt hubs are disc but the rims can be used with vbrakes or cantilevers ... A bonus for wheel swapping with other bikes. I doubt you'll find a better value for a touring wheelset ($300) but I would guess at that price that the hubs will need grease and adjustment out of the box, and some tweaks to the spokes as well. Perhaps Hozn would give them a once over for that sixer.

Post Thanks / Like

Velomine is another good place to look for value-minded wheelets. They sell expensive stuff too but if I'm having a wheelset built with something like King hubs or Enve rims I'd have a wheelbuilder I know and trust do the job. These aren't on the Velomine website right now but they're available through eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velocity-Ail...-/272011460556.

The RS505 is a solid workhorse, Velocity is MUSA and tubeless compatible, and DT Swiss spokes are DT Swiss spokes. A friend (who is on here and would probably be happy to show you) just built up a Wolverine with this wheelset and is happy with them. They look even better blacked out with logos removed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    No, no, no. $850 is cray cray unless you are doing carbon.
    Is it though? A wheelset with a hub from Chris King, White Industries, Hope, Paul, Phil Wood, Tune, etc. built up with a popular high quality, lightweight aluminum rim like the HED Belgium and Sapim or DT Swiss spokes is going to be in the $800-$1000 range.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctankcycles View Post
    Is it though? A wheelset with a hub from Chris King, White Industries, Hope, Paul, Phil Wood, Tune, etc. built up with a popular high quality, lightweight aluminum rim like the HED Belgium and Sapim or DT Swiss spokes is going to be in the $800-$1000 range.
    Well, I agree with some of that. You can pay a lot for hubs. I definitely agree with that. But there's no necessary correlation with how long the hub is going to last, etc.

But even if you want more name-brand stuff than Novatec and Kinlin, you don't have to spend $800. E.g. a Hope Pro 4 hubset, $250. A couple of Stans Grail rims, $160. 64 Sapim Laser spokes, $64. Total $474. (Ok I didn't include the nipples, so we'll just say "less than 500".)

I don't understand people buying Chris King / Phil Woods / etc. hubs, honestly. At least with Tune, you're saving some weight ... but $2/gram is pretty expensive weight. But, yeah, I know you can walk into a store and spend $800 on a set of alloy wheels, but that is crazy use of money to me.

Edit: Rather than say a "crazy use of money", I should just say "I would prioritize bike expenditures differently". I spend lots of money on bike parts and many of my purchases are frivolous. I can't hate on people for wanting bling hubs if I'm going to pay $60 for a set of Arundel carbon bottle cages. :-)
    Last edited by hozn; 03-06-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, boutique hubs aren't really a bang-for-the-buck upgrade for a rough stuff bike like a Soma Wolverine. But I'd love to have shiny Phil Woods on a singlespeed or fixed gear bike. Yessir.

I didn't want to go off topic in my response to the OP, but part of why I asked about what tires would be used is that given a limited budget, I'd rather ride inexpensive, durable wheels and and the nicest tires I can afford, or find. It seems like backwards logic, since tires must be replaced regularly, and a well-cared for wheelset can last for a decade or more. But my experience is that cheapo crummy tires will bring a nice new wheelset down to their level.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Prioritize bike expenditures

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I don't understand people buying Chris King / Phil Woods / etc. hubs, honestly. At least with Tune, you're saving some weight ... but $2/gram is pretty expensive weight. But, yeah, I know you can walk into a store and spend $800 on a set of alloy wheels, but that is crazy use of money to me.
    I agree with you. I also think it's somewhat frivolous to an extent. I ride close to about 6k/year and I know I go through chains, cassettes,
    brake pads (lots of pads), couple bottom brackets, washing/cleaning the bike, commuter gear, and dishing/truing wheels like crazy. However, I do spend my money wisely on nutritional meals in lieu buying expensive alloy/carbon wheels. I guess to each his own.

Happy Riding.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally retired a pair of RSX hubs this summer I had used continually since 1998. Got my monies worth out of those...

Post Thanks / Like

Ha well you're talking to a guy who has an appreciation for expensive hubs and bottle cages so...

I actually bought a couple Arundel Dave-O cages when they first came out around 2000 and they're still going strong. Quality product made in the USA that lasts. Which I think the same can be said for many of the hub manufacturers I mentioned. I completely agree that King or something comparable makes little sense on a Wolverine build. But if I'm dropping a large sum on a high end bike then I don't think hubs in this range are an unreasonable expenditure. I've had a set of King Classics since 1998 with many 10s of thousands of miles on the original bearings and still roll smooth with yearly rebuilds.

The question is do you have a $60 bell to go with your $60 cages?