Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dutch family looking to commute from Takoma Park

Post Thanks / Like

True, true! Good bagels over there, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Y'all are hurting my feelings. But I don't really disagree.

I'd still say this particular situation is one where the funkier lifestyle might not be worth the added transportation hassles, which would be bad by any mode. And if the kids are taking the Dutch language classes, you're going to find yourself in Bethesda 6 days a week.
    Sorry - I'm not trying to hurt any feelings. Just toss them aside momentarily... But yes, if you know you're going to be spending a lot of time at x, it makes sense to try to make that as convenient as you can, all else being equal. But, it's a balance. Generally speaking, homes in Takoma Park will be cheaper than Bethesda (e.g., Zillow states a media per square foot list price of $317 for Takoma Park vs. $513 in Bethesda), but that would be (somewhat? equally? more than?) offset by the time spent in traffic/cycling/metro/whatever to get around, especially in this scenario.

Post Thanks / Like

I fear the consequence of the daily logistical hassles would be a starting down that slippery slope toward driving more and more.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

There has to be an interesting neighborhood in DC that's an easier ride to Bethesda than Takoma Park, right? In my understanding, east-west travel north of (the Zoo? Porter?) is just very difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few somewhat funky neighborhoods right along MacArthur and the Canal. Very outdoors-oriented, popular with those people who like to kayak, canoe, run and bike along the Canal. Lots of older houses in very eclectic styles, and a few tear-downs.
    Last edited by Crickey7; 03-06-2017 at 04:53 PM.

6. Likes secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a few somewhat funky neighborhoods right along MacArthur and the Canal. Very outdoors-oriented, popular with those people who like to kayak, canoe, run and bike along the Canal. Lots of older houses in very eclectic styles, and a few tear-downs.
    That is another good suggestion of a place to look. The distance from Metro somewhat helps the affordability issues over there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    That is another good suggestion of a place to look. The distance from Metro somewhat helps the affordability issues over there.
    Yes, I have this vision of moving out somewhere along the Canal and buying a fat bike in case we ever get a real winter again.

Post Thanks / Like

Brookmont.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thank everyone!!

Thank you everyone! That was a lot of very useful information.
    And so the search for a neighborhood begins...Thanks!

11. Likes Crickey7, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Beth...s-Bridge-Road/

Proposed route for the interim SS-Bethesda trail. Note that this is the official route. Unofficially, riders can go any route they want, though none will be as easy and pleasant as the trail.
    Last edited by Crickey7; 03-16-2017 at 03:11 PM.