Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyline Drive Shut Down To Motorized Vehicles - 4/23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    There is warm blackberry cobbler and blackberry ice cream at the Big Meadows wayside.
    That right there is the reason my family went there a lot, when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, Big Meadows is in the central section of Shenandoah. Only the north section, from Front Royal to Thornton Gap, is open car-free on April 23rd. Not that you couldn't just keep riding.......

2. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's Google's terrain profile of the route, looks like the return trip will test those with less stellar descending skills
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 4.26.53 PM.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	14066

4. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    Here's Google's terrain profile of the route, looks like the return trip will test those with less stellar descending skills

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 4.26.53 PM.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	14066
    I also expect the return trip to also test those riders who think the double yellow line doesn't apply to them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

6. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    I rode Skyline a decent number of times last year and never had a problem with any car or motorcycle or fellow cyclist. There is warm blackberry cobbler and blackberry ice cream at the Big Meadows wayside. That's really all the reason you need to give it a shot.

Name:	2016-07-24 11.42.02-1.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	14065
    There is also the Apple House in Linden for the drive back if you take I-66. They have very good fresh doughnuts. www.theapplehouse.net

8. Likes kwarkentien, bobco85, EasyRider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And Spelunkers in Front Royal if you feel like having a completely decadent shake.

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough, even though registration opened today, when I went to register earlier this morning, I only got put on a wait list. Hard to believe that's right. Did anyone manage to get registered, or are folks being put on a wait list?

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to register. The registration seemed more to be for parking, which isn't even guaranteed, so I don't think it would preclude you from participating.

12. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the same wait list message Husker Did, and put my name on the "wait list."

The NPS event page says that registration is simply to help estimate attendance, and had nothing to do with parking, which is first come first serve. The event page had no mention of a cap on the number of participants, but maybe there is and it was reached almost immediately.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Put my name on the waitlist although I've got company coming into town that weekend for the Science March...but I think he's leaving pretty early, so I might be able to just drive him to the airport and head straight out to Front Royal.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm doing this cause my friends are. Got the same wait list registration option as Husker.

16. Likes kwarkentien liked this post