Thread: Skyline Drive Shut Down To Motorized Vehicles - 4/23

Post Thanks / Like

Like Scoot, I have a pic at mile post 21:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170423_100633.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	14652

Unlike Scoot and some others, I turned around at Mile 30, thinking that was practically 211 when it's really about a mile short (I hold my manhood cheap):

Name:	20170423_104353.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	14653

Coupla pics of me and Judd and Komorebi, who agreed to let me tag along.

Name:	20170423_080028.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	14654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170423_070823.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	14655

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Like Scoot, I have a pic at mile post 21:

Name:	20170423_100633.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	14652

Unlike Scoot and some others, I turned around at Mile 30, thinking that was practically 211 when it's really about a mile short (I hold my manhood cheap):

Name:	20170423_104353.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	14653

Coupla pics of me and Judd and Komorebi, who agreed to let me tag along.

Name:	20170423_080028.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	14654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170423_070823.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	14655

The best picture is the one showing that we climbed above the freaking clouds.

Lots of fun trying to keep up with husker. I also saw Ricky, Rimas, and Amy Parker along the way. Looks like I missed several other people I know well from the Strava flybys. This was definitely the most sustained climbing that I've ever done and although it was difficult, getting to descend for nearly 6 miles at the end made all of the effort worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Hate to say it, but knee issues have me out. Have fun tomorrow everyone
    Solidarity! I've been coping with a torn meniscus, actually tried to ride yesterday, and bailed before I got to Dickey Ridge. Peter went on, while I went for a walking tour in Front Royal (after sobbing in the parking lot -- okay, not really, but I kinda wanted to). Thinking that arthroscopic surgery just might be the faster way to recovery, though I've been avoiding it and just doing PT until now. Hope you figure out what's going on and find the path to feeling better.

The first climb wasn't awful, but had I taken my road bike I wouldn't have just been grinding uphill in the lowest gear. Not sustainable on sore knees.

NPS did a bang-up job, the rangers were super friendly and supportive. And since we did visit a bookstore, had excellent brews at the Beer Museum, dinner at a restaurant, and ice cream cones, the mayor of Front Royal will get my thanks as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Solidarity! I've been coping with a torn meniscus, actually tried to ride yesterday, and bailed before I got to Dickey Ridge. Peter went on, while I went for a walking tour in Front Royal (after sobbing in the parking lot -- okay, not really, but I kinda wanted to). Thinking that arthroscopic surgery just might be the faster way to recovery, though I've been avoiding it and just doing PT until now.
    Bummer about the meniscus. For what it's worth, I had a piece of my meniscus removed that looked like a fricken' garlic clove and was riding to work in less than a week (okay, that was under the time the doctor recommended, but after one Metro ride/taxi ride combination, I was ready to ride, and it really was fine). The pain was gawdawful prior to surgery, and completely manageable afterward.

5. Likes dasgeh, ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a memorable experience!!! I started from Front Royal right at 8am. After a bit of confusion about registration, I ended up being the only person from my group to make the trek out. I WAS disappointed to find that there was nobody checking registration at the entrance.

I have never done that much climbing in one effort before, and my legs were definitely shouting at me! Going from trying to stay cool on the climbs, to shivering on the downhills was something else.. hahahaa... I finally threw in the towel and turned around after I reached Hogback- Just didn't want to risk gassing out on the return leg since I didn't have anything else to eat. But if they do it again, I guarantee you I'll be there!!! 5300 feet of climbing yesterday!!

Name:	18057919_10154674867447956_296295382029001956_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	14656

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
    I WAS disappointed to find that there was nobody checking registration at the entrance.
    They definitely made me show my registration at the parking lot at Skyline HS, and my understanding was that registration was only required to use the designated parking areas. If you parked somewhere else, there was no need for any kind of registration.

8. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    This was definitely the most sustained climbing that I've ever done and although it was difficult, getting to descend for nearly 6 miles at the end made all of the effort worth it.
    All those laps at HP didn't help at all?

10. Likes Judd liked this post
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    And the most important point: if we want to "Ride The Drive" again without motorized traffic, we need to provide a lot of positive feedback to NPS.

Did you have a great time riding yesterday without car traffic? Do you have any suggestions for how NPS could improve this event? Did you not make it but want to try this another day? (Attendance was much lower than signups, possibly because of the rainy forecast that didn't pan out.)

Let them know how awesome this idea is by using the email link at https://www.nps.gov/shen/contacts.htm

I heard that they did receive some negative feedback from motorists who were turned away. Some with lifetime National Park passes were especially upset.

I also heard that the mayor of Front Royal was not especially enthusiastic about supporting the event, and he could use some gratitude regarding provision of their facilities for parking as well as encouragement from any cyclists who spent money in town.

You can also post positive comments at their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/shenandoahnps/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

I bet a lot of the people complaining about closing some of the Drive down to cars are the same folks who happily come into DC for events like the Marine Corps Marathon, parades, inauguration, etc. all of which shut down roads to the locals and tourists. Sigh.

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    They definitely made me show my registration at the parking lot at Skyline HS, and my understanding was that registration was only required to use the designated parking areas. If you parked somewhere else, there was no need for any kind of registration.
    Yup, I originally went to Skyline HS to park, and was turned away because I didn't choose the parking option. But they said on the facebook page, and in the e-mail that registration for the event was required:

"Participants must have registered for the event and have a valid ticket. Due to limited resources and a high volume of participants, registration is closed. We will not accept any additional participants.

Please bring a printed copy of your ticket/registration info. Cell service is not reliable in Shenandoah National Park. "

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect they didn't bother checking registrations since the weather was poor. They probably figured half the people registered wouldn't show up which appears to be the case.

15. Likes streetsmarts liked this post