Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wheel theft

Post Thanks / Like

Default wheel theft

I stepped out of the office this evening to find that my wheels/tires had been stolen off of my Motobecane bicycle. It was parked very publicly at the Van Ness Metro bike parking, alongside many other bikes, right beneath the security camera (we are not allowed to bring bikes into our office building, which offers no bike parking). The police came and I filed a report, for what that's worth.
    I lugged home the bike skeleton on two very crowded metro trains and another 1.5 miles. The other passengers were very kind and accommodating. By now my arms are strong enough to beat up any thieves
    I am very sad. I keep reminding myself that nobody got hurt and they didn't get my frame, which was U-locked.
    Watch out for thieves.
    Your friend,
    [-----]&wings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1735 bike skeleton at Metro.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	14027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1739 bike skeleton 27 February 2017.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	14028  

2. Dislikes dasgeh, Sunyata, accordioneur, secstate, sjclaeys and 2 others disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh chica! That is awful and I remember that terrible feeling well...I'm so sorry. I think my bikes are a bit big for you but your more than welcome to borrow one...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That sucks.

Were they 700c wheels? I have some spares i'd sell cheap.

6. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is really awful. I am really sorry to learn this. Hopefully you can get satisfactory replacement rims and tires. I see bike frames in the same condition at my local Metro station. I also see the same bikes locked day after day to the same parking location, and I think it must be that the bike's owners lost their keys to the respective locks.

Bob
    Last edited by BobCochran; 02-27-2017 at 08:59 PM.

8. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default so sad!

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    I stepped out of the office this evening to find that my wheels/tires had been stolen off of my Motobecane bicycle. It was parked very publicly at the Van Ness Metro bike parking, alongside many other bikes, right beneath the security camera (we are not allowed to bring bikes into our office building, which offers no bike parking). The police came and I filed a report, for what that's worth.
    I lugged home the bike skeleton on two very crowded metro trains and another 1.5 miles. The other passengers were very kind and accommodating. By now my arms are strong enough to beat up any thieves
    I am very sad. I keep reminding myself that nobody got hurt and they didn't get my frame, which was U-locked.
    Watch out for thieves.
    Your friend,
    [-----]&wings
    I'm so sorry that happened! What is wheels&wings without wheels?!!! I've seen bike skeletons like that at my (home) metro station, but not experienced it (yet!). Hang in there. Hope you can use another bike or get some replacement wheels soon! I have an extra bike but I think it'd be a tad too big for you!

10. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

People are the worst. We were just talking yesterday about the day we parked 2 bikes at Mt Vernon Square Metro for a couple hours in the middle of the day (dinosaur exhibit at the Convention Center) and got our seats stolen. It's infuriating.

Also, it may be some small consolation that "[-----]&wings" is the funniest thing I've seen today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    Watch out for thieves.
    Your friend,
    [-----]&wings
    When you get new wheels I have an extra cable to lock your wheels to the U-Lock that I will gladly give you. Sorry that someone was a doody head today.

13. Likes KLizotte, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear about the theft, w&w. That's terrible. If you'd like to borrow a bike, just let me know. Mine should be about the right size.

15. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone!! Y’all are the best medicine. And I appreciate the many offers. I’ve been emailing with Phoenix Bikes tonight and will bring my skeleton there tomorrow. If no luck, I will be in touch… As for a cable, I used to use both a cable and my U-lock outside my office building at Van Ness…until a few months ago when someone cut my cable off. Since then I’ve only used the U. I’m not sure what the best solution is…maybe carry two U’s and insert one through each wheel?

Post Thanks / Like

This sucks. Very sorry to hear.

My bike also lives outside during the workday -- I lock one wheel with a U and another with a cable, but I have noticed a few cut cables around, so maybe I should rethink (or just accept that I might be out a front wheel one of these months).

I'm about to spring for a new saddle and and am considering locking skewers on it so I don't have to worry.

18. Likes wheels&wings liked this post