Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Article: How Far is Too Far to Bike to Work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Let him be a troll, and ignore him. He's picking arguments to fight, ignoring the ones that he can't. It's not advancing the thread, and serves no point other than to get people mad.

Nah, for a minute it had me contemplating how to get onto the Memorial bridge in Va without using a trail OR a limited access road. Or riding through ANC.

There is not a way, is there? If someone wants to get from NoVa to central DC without using a trail or sidepath, and without using a limited access road, you need to take the Key Bridge? (I mean assuming that Chain Bridge is just too far out of the way).

2. Likes dasgeh, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SolarBikeCar View Post
    Implicit in the conversation is that we are talking about human as the sole energy input
    Dude, you invalidated your own argument. Your bicycle wheeled hybrid-power vehicle is not solely human powered either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Dude, you invalidated your own argument. Your bicycle wheeled hybrid-power vehicle is not solely human powered either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
    I'd would rather have a human powered only vehicle and would if my commute was less than 10 miles.
    Since my commute is 15 miles I have e-assist.

DismalScientist is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Where was this intolerance when I was trying to get e-bikes banned from Freezing Saddles?

6. Likes Judd, hozn, Crickey7 liked this post
    Dislikes cvcalhoun, dasgeh, Crickey7 disliked this post
    ELITE Subby, bobco85, Crickey7, vvill ELITED this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SolarBikeCar View Post
    I'd would rather have a human powered only vehicle and would if my commute was less than 10 miles.
    Since my commute is 15 miles I have e-assist.
    I don't think the issue is using an e-assist to make 15 miles easier. It's the "I must do it in 45min and average 20mph, on the trails" (and on a vehicle that takes up much more of the trail than a bicycle). Some options for dealing with a bike commute that's too much are) cut down the number of days or, b) go multi-modal or c) yes, potentially have an e-assist for some days so you can rest more. But not so you can average 20mph and endanger others.

Do you drive a car through a neighborhood signposted 25mph at 45mph to save time - because it takes too long to drive at a reasonable speed otherwise? Of course, you'd rather drive at 25mph but since it's too far, y'know...

8. Likes kwarkentien, Subby, Judd, Sunyata, huskerdont and 2 others liked this post
    ELITE KLizotte ELITED this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    In theory.
    In reality, averaging 20 mph on a 15-mile commute is only possible if virtually all of it is on a grade-separated trail. If even 3-4 miles of the commute is on streets or any kind of urban infrastructure, there is no way. Look at dcv's commutes. He is a truly badass, very fast rider and he averages, over 19 miles, 17ish on his fastest days.
    Exactly once I averaged 20mph+ on my 8-mile commute from near 7 corners to 13th & L NW DC, which I rode hundreds of times. There was a truly miraculous, once-every-thousand-years confluence of green lights the entire ride (AND I exhibited utter disregard for other trail users, behavior of which I am now ashamed). Averaging 20 mph day in and day out is just not possible except in the rarest of circumstances.
    Well, Strava just told me that the day in 2014 when I averaged over 17 mph on my commute there must have been something wrong with my GPS.

10. Likes kwarkentien, Judd, anomad, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    I don't think the issue is using an e-assist to make 15 miles easier. It's the "I must do it in 45min and average 20mph, on the trails" (and on a vehicle that takes up much more of the trail than a bicycle). Some options for dealing with a bike commute that's too much are) cut down the number of days or, b) go multi-modal or c) yes, potentially have an e-assist for some days so you can rest more. But not so you can average 20mph and endanger others.

Do you drive a car through a neighborhood signposted 25mph at 45mph to save time - because it takes too long to drive at a reasonable speed otherwise? Of course, you'd rather drive at 25mph but since it's too far, y'know...
    I think he's using a car-shaped pseudo bike (illegally, arguably) because he doesn't want to expend any effort beyond what it takes to pilot in an internal combustion-engined car, and he doesn't like sitting in traffic (presumably because it represents a gross inefficiency in wasteful public infrastructure). He strikes me as one who (seldom publicly) generally accepts the conceit of free-riding, where ever possible for personal gain, but to the detriment of others' liberties. Any claims towards the environmental benefit of the car-like contraption are likely only loosely tied to any personal conviction with any care for "the commons," and are more likely derived from perceived cost savings.

12. Likes vvill, Judd, hozn liked this post
    ELITE ian74 ELITED this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

_Anyone_ averaging 20MPH on the trails is probably riding unsafely. There are plenty of people who can do it on non-e-bikes, and more who can do it on e-bikes. It's not the "e", but the behavior that makes it a problem.

On roads, in order to average 20MPH for the trip, you're probably talking about averaging 25mph or so while you're going, to make up for stop signs, etc. There are plenty of people who can do that on non-e-bikes (but not as many as 20mph), and again, more people who can do that with e-bikes. So e-bikes make that commute accessible to more people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    _Anyone_ averaging 20MPH on the trails is probably riding unsafely. There are plenty of people who can do it on non-e-bikes, and more who can do it on e-bikes. It's not the "e", but the behavior that makes it a problem.

On roads, in order to average 20MPH for the trip, you're probably talking about averaging 25mph or so while you're going, to make up for stop signs, etc. There are plenty of people who can do that on non-e-bikes (but not as many as 20mph), and again, more people who can do that with e-bikes. So e-bikes make that commute accessible to more people.
    So - as someone newish around here (the forum, not DC), is this a fair summary of the issue?
    1. Some people can go fast on bikes.
    2. More people can go fast on bikes with motors.
    3. Motorized tricycles can also help people go faster.
    4. How far someone can commute on a bike depends on the usual time/distance/effort calculations which depend on many many many factors.
    5. If you're too big/too fast to be safe on a trail, don't use it.

15. Likes kwarkentien, dasgeh, CBGanimal, hozn, Amalitza and 1 others liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    5. If you're too big/too fast to be safe on a trail, don't use it.
    That's about all I care about...