Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: How Far is Too Far to Bike to Work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    The big issue that the article and this discussion has ignored is type of bike. I'd agree that 10 miles on a flat-bar is nutter.
    Wait, what?

BTW, http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...stance-commute
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 02-28-2017 at 11:44 AM.

2. Likes Rod Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The big issue that the article and this discussion has ignored is type of bike. I'd agree that 10 miles on a flat-bar is nutter.

But there are more types of bikes than are dreamt of in your philosophy. There are ebikes that make 10-miles each way easy. There are cargo bikes that enable kid- (and softball-equipment-) hauling. And there are e-cargo-bikes that allow some of us to do the dance of dropping off kids and getting to work and responding to emergencies, while reaping the benefits of getting (moderate) exercise, reduced cost, and more certainty as to travel time (and probably reduced time spent in travel too).

In other words, join those of us on cargo ebikes, and you can tote your kids around, park for free and get to work without being sweaty!
    Umm, I do 12.5 miles each way on a heavy flat-bar bike with no e-assist. Of course, I make no representations about whether I am a nutter!

4. Likes vvill, hozn, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Count me in the nutter crowd as well. My commute is ~10.5-11 miles each way depending on the proclivities of my Garmin and the construction detours.

Additionally, I prefer a flat bar for commuting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

6. Likes DCAKen, Crickey7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, I routinely pass drop bar riders on my flat bar bike.

Post Thanks / Like

But there are more types of bikes than are dreamt of in your philosophy. There are ebikes that make 10-miles each way easy.
    This is true. There were a couple of regulars during summer and fall who would breezily swoosh by me going up the hills. Sometimes they had stuff, sometimes they didn't, but every time it made me jealous. I'm trying to convince Mrs. Boing to get an e-bike so she could come on longer rides with minimal effort.

9. Likes dasgeh, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't self-incriminate on whether I'm a nutter but I used to frequently commute 10-13 miles on a cheap flat-bar fitness bike and it was perfectly comfortable.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Additionally, I prefer a flat bar for commuting.
    It makes my back hurt just thinking about 10+ miles each way every day on flat bars. If you can rock the flat bar, more power to you.

Post Thanks / Like

It makes my back hurt just thinking about 10+ miles each way every day on flat bars. If you can rock the flat bar, more power to you.
    Core strengthening work and bike specific stretches might improve your perspective on flat bars. Working a desk job doesn't help much either.

13. Likes vern liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    However, the farther away you are the more likely you are to bail if everything isn't perfect.
    Truth. I'll do the 3.5-4.5 miles into various errands or appointments in old town in essentially anything other than ice. Even if it's after dark and my light dies, I freak only moderately, improvise routes, and carefully head home. The 30-mile each way to work I'm much pickier about and probably would not do at all if I didn't have the luxury of two gas-powered vehicles, which means I can leave one at work and one at home and always have an option to bail on biking if weather, bike, gear, body, or time is lacking. And don't do in the dark fall/winter months. (NEXT WEEK: Daylight savings time! = restart bike commute for the year!)

15. Likes ian74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no distance too far! There's just never enough time, and sometimes you get tired.

17. Likes kwarkentien, Judd, Amalitza, EasyRider liked this post