Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike Shed Recommendation Needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike Shed Recommendation Needed

We are moving to a new house and will lose our current indoor bike storage, so I need a shed for the bikes. I'm looking to store my cyclocross bike, the cargo bike (its a Yuba Boda Boda so it's not huge), the wife bike, and one to two kids bikes.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd stay away from box kits, since you can't see the quality of the wood inside before purchasing it. And most designs don't have much headroom for hanging the bikes up and out of the way, they're designed to be small and hold lawnmower and yard tools.

If you 1.) have time 2.) are even sort of handy, and 3.) want something particular I'd say build your own, or find plans online and hire someone to build it. I spent $10 on some plans from http://www.icreatables.com/, and bought the materials from Home Depot and ABC Distributors. I didn't have anyone to help me, or any experience, so it took quite a few Saturday afternoons, but I was in no hurry. Four years on, it's holding up very well. I would guess I spent $1,000 or a bit more on materials and tools. It's 8x10 with a prehung door.

3. Likes anomad, BobCochran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    I'd stay away from box kits, since you can't see the quality of the wood inside before purchasing it. And most designs don't have much headroom for hanging the bikes up and out of the way, they're designed to be small and hold lawnmower and yard tools.

If you 1.) have time 2.) are even sort of handy, and 3.) want something particular I'd say build your own, or find plans online and hire someone to build it. I spent $10 on some plans from http://www.icreatables.com/, and bought the materials from Home Depot and ABC Distributors. I didn't have anyone to help me, or any experience, so it took quite a few Saturday afternoons, but I was in no hurry. Four years on, it's holding up very well. I would guess I spent $1,000 or a bit more on materials and tools. It's 8x10 with a prehung door.
    Well done, and very cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingman762 View Post
    We are moving to a new house and will lose our current indoor bike storage, so I need a shed for the bikes. I'm looking to store my cyclocross bike, the cargo bike (its a Yuba Boda Boda so it's not huge), the wife bike, and one to two kids bikes.

Any suggestions?
    Need more info to make recommendation. Budget? Any codes or HOA restrictions to contend with? How long do you need to to last? How secure does it need to be? Bikes take up more space than you think too.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunno about HOA, but IIRC, Arlington County doesn't require a permit for a shed that is under 200 square feet. That's enormous for a "shed". There is a setback requirement, however.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Need more info to make recommendation. Budget? Any codes or HOA restrictions to contend with? How long do you need to to last? How secure does it need to be? Bikes take up more space than you think too.
    This is Vicegrips idea of a "shed"

8. Likes vvill liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    This is Vicegrips idea of a "shed"

That actually looks a lot like his "shed". Except he also has a lift for working on his porche.

10. Likes vvill, rcannon100 liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    Dunno about HOA, but IIRC, Arlington County doesn't require a permit for a shed that is under 200 square feet. That's enormous for a "shed". There is a setback requirement, however.
    I didn't think there was a setback requirement for free-standing sheds. Or is it very small -- e.g. 1 ft? We have an 8x10 shed ~ 1 foot from fence line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I didn't think there was a setback requirement for free-standing sheds. Or is it very small -- e.g. 1 ft? We have an 8x10 shed ~ 1 foot from fence line.
    You're probably going to end up in prison.

13. Likes huskerdont, Vicegrip, Steve O, drevil, hozn liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

15. Likes hozn, Judd liked this post