Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gap in the sidewalk near 9/11 Memorial might get fixed in May

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gap in the sidewalk near 9/11 Memorial might get fixed in May

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    I tried a new escalation tactic and at least got DES to dig into it more:

Following up on your inquiry, it turns out that the sidewalk is maintained by the Pentagon. Mr. Gunderson contacted the Pentagon. Apparently the area has been a construction entrance for several years now. There is currently a project that was put on hold because of contractor issues (walked off the job). A new contract was recently awarded and work will restart soon. Complete restoration of the sidewalk will not occur until the construction project has been completed.

I pushed back and said waiting on full restoration makes sense, but a little bit of temporary mitigation to slope the sidewalk down to ground level would go a long way in the interim.
    Pulling this out of a different thread about the gap in the sidewalk by the 9/11 Memorial at the Pentagon that forces bikers into oncoming traffic or doing some gnarly gravel curb hopping. I filed a complaint under the Americans with Disabilities Act. I received this response on Tuesday from the very nice guy coordinating the complaint response:

"Today I received an unofficial draft response, as follows, from the Department of Defense:

“The location of the complaint is near the entrance to the Secure Access Lane construction project. The curb cuts at this location were removed (most likely during the construction of the Pentagon Memorial project in 2007-2008). The site is scheduled to be fully restored at the end of the Secure Access Lane project (May 2018). In the interim, repairs to install ramps will be made by Pentagon Building Management by May 2017.”

If the formal, official response provides a different completion timeline, I will so advise you. But I will keep you updated on the status of the ramp installation as I receive updates."

Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll have ramps installed on the sidewalk in May. Thanks to Chris for all the work to identify who owned the sidewalk.

Post Thanks / Like

When I passed by yesterday evening on the way home, there were four or five guys in some sort of uniforms, examining the gap and conferring about it.

3. Likes Judd, KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll have ramps installed on the sidewalk in May. Thanks to Chris for all the work to identify who owned the sidewalk.
    Keeping my fingers crossed as well, thanks for carrying it (hopefully) over the finish line.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh also, if I'm reading some other documentation correctly, when the "Secure Access Lane" project wraps up in 2018, we'll be able to access the 27 trail without the dangerous bollard slalom via a new trail connection directly from the stub of the Pike.

6. Likes Dewey, scoot, dasgeh, Judd liked this post
    ELITE ginacico ELITED this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh also, if I'm reading some other documentation correctly, when the "Secure Access Lane" project wraps up in 2018, we'll be able to access the 27 trail without the dangerous bollard slalom via a new trail connection directly from the stub of the Pike.

So this just raises more questions. Is the eastern extension of the 110 Trail going to get built now? (note that it doesn't have the "to be completed by others" designation, like the Boundary Channel Drive interchange trail (wow, that needs a new name) does).

Will the "Pentagon Employee Bike Routes" be closed to non-Pentagon employees?

Post Thanks / Like

we'll be able to access the 27 trail without the dangerous bollard slalom via a new trail connection
    And I was just starting to get good at the bollard slalom. Rolled through it yesterday w/o putting a foot down. (No, I won't really miss it.)
    Last edited by ginacico; 02-23-2017 at 01:35 PM.

9. Likes huskerdont, chris_s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    And I was just starting to get good at the bollard slalom. Rolled through it yesterday w/o putting a foot down. (No, I won't really miss it.)
    You've got at least a year to enjoy your prowess.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Come to Frankfurt, they've gone nuts with trail obstructions to practice with.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    When I passed by yesterday evening on the way home, there were four or five guys in some sort of uniforms, examining the gap and conferring about it.
    Well there were lots and lots of traffic cones surrounding the sidewalk "cut offs" at both ends tonight. Kind of funny given that the cut offs and gravel have been there for a couple of years with no signage or repair.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a dude riding a jackhammer there when I passed by earlier. I wonder if there are carbon models.

14. Likes kwarkentien, Judd liked this post