Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Commuting into Arlington

Post Thanks / Like

How about Key Bridge to the Intersection of Doom, then down the hill to TR Island and the Mount Vernon Trail.

Down the trail to the Navy-Merchant Marine Memorial and then under the GWMP to the Columbia Island Marina.

Across the wooden bridge, south on Boundary Channel Drive and through the Pentagon South parking lot to Columbia Pike (by the 9/11 Memorial)

Up Columbia Pike to Southgate Road to Orme.

I think the folks on that stretch of Columbia Pike are comparatively well mannered (and far fewer distractions).

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    You are totally fortunate. I usually have to wait for 10 cars before I start giving the "I'm going to jump in front of your car" body language to get someone to stop.
    Tania's cuter, duh.

3. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
    Dislikes Judd disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    How about Key Bridge to the Intersection of Doom, then down the hill to TR Island and the Mount Vernon Trail.

Down the trail to the Navy-Merchant Marine Memorial and then under the GWMP to the Columbia Island Marina.

Across the wooden bridge, south on Boundary Channel Drive and through the Pentagon South parking lot to Columbia Pike (by the 9/11 Memorial)

I think the folks on that stretch of Columbia Pike are comparatively well mannered (and far fewer distractions).

This is mostly my route of choice, but it adds a bit of mileage. Depends on the time of day that she's commuting. Going around the Pentagon on Boundary Channel Drive and through the Pentagon South Parking lot can involve a lot of traffic. It's not dangerous type of traffic, it's just that sitting in traffic sucks on a bike.

Justin

5. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post

Instead of south on Boundary Channel, go the other way, up the sidewalk along the ramp towards Memorial Bridge. At the top of the ramp, cross the ramp onto the Washington Blvd, 27 bike trail. The views aren't good, but it's a lot shorter than going the "wrong" way around the Pentagon.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.9...04f05b!1m0!3e1

(I can't get google to do this right.)

7. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post

(I can't get google to do this right.)
    I also recommend doing a lap around the Pentagon. It's no Hains Point, but it will do in a pinch. I'll try to take a picture in the next day or two, but construction has begun on the 27 Bridge. A chain link lined temporary path is being put up. It currently looks a bit sketchy and narrow, but won't know for sure until it's fully up.

9. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, honestly, if I'd go the western route (through Rosslyn) or the eastern route (near the Pentagon), but I do know I would avoid the west-side-of-50 trail. So if I were to do the Eastern Route, I'd stay on the east side of 50, then take Pershing to Fillmore to the secret trail (Long Branch Trail). See here. It's a little long than staying along 50, but doesn't add any hills, and has the advantage of not having to stop and look back over your shoulder to see if cars are coming.

If I were to take the eastern route, I'd probably take stay in the District and take Memorial Bridge (as shown here) or even 14th Street, depending on where she's coming from, shown here)

11. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also recommend doing a lap around the Pentagon. It's no Hains Point, but it will do in a pinch. I'll try to take a picture in the next day or two, but construction has begun on the 27 Bridge. A chain link lined temporary path is being put up. It currently looks a bit sketchy and narrow, but won't know for sure until it's fully up.
    Here's the temporary trail going up along the 27 trail by the Pentagon.

13. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I don't know, honestly, if I'd go the western route (through Rosslyn) or the eastern route (near the Pentagon), but I do know I would avoid the west-side-of-50 trail. So if I were to do the Eastern Route, I'd stay on the east side of 50, then take Pershing to Fillmore to the secret trail (Long Branch Trail). See here. It's a little long than staying along 50, but doesn't add any hills, and has the advantage of not having to stop and look back over your shoulder to see if cars are coming.

If I were to take the eastern route, I'd probably take stay in the District and take Memorial Bridge (as shown here) or even 14th Street, depending on where she's coming from, shown here)
    I'm digging the Pershing to Filmore route!

15. Likes ewilliams0305, dasgeh liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the temporary trail going up along the 27 trail by the Pentagon.

It looks steep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I don't know, honestly, if I'd go the western route (through Rosslyn) or the eastern route (near the Pentagon), but I do know I would avoid the west-side-of-50 trail. So if I were to do the Eastern Route, I'd stay on the east side of 50, then take Pershing to Fillmore to the secret trail (Long Branch Trail).
    I agree on avoiding the trail along the westbound side of 50. Since you are going to come as far west as Fillmore anyway, I'd instead recommend climbing either

a) Wilson Blvd (possible route: Fort Myer - Nash - Wilson - Garfield - Washington - Fillmore) or
    b) Custis Trail (possible route: Fort Myer - Custis - Veitch - Key - Bryan - Danville - Wilson - Garfield - Washington - Fillmore)

Crossing 50 once is bad. Crossing it three times is torture. This is why I'd like to see the south(east)-side 50 trail extended either to the 2nd St bridge or over to Fillmore. I ride between Penrose and Key Bridge often, but I never use this trail because it's too much of a pain to get to and from it.

18. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post