Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commuting into Arlington

Post Thanks / Like

Default Commuting into Arlington

I have a friend who's interested in bike commuting (yippy!) the address is

900 south Orme Street

Looking at the map it appears to be a tricky place to sneak in and out of. I'm trying to help her plan a route but simply don't know my way about Arlington. Any thoughts would be great! She would be coming from silver spring CCT so probably key bridge.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

She'll wind up using that trail on south side of 27 that starts near the pentagon 911 memorial to get to the MVT. It's not pleasant.

Post Thanks / Like

First step is to be like, "Yo gurl, don't you worry about it. Big Poppa Eric has got you covered, boo."

I live down the street from there. It's a bit dependent on how comfortable/confident a cyclist she is. If crossing over the Key Bridge, she can either go west of Arlington Cemetery by taking the bike trail along Arlington Boulevard to South Courthouse Road and then turn left on Columbia Pike. Here's the route: https://goo.gl/maps/8RcWAuSFjg62

The other option would be to cross over the Key Bridge and take the Mt. Vernon Trail to the 110 Trail past the Pentagon and then up Southgate Dr. Here's that route: https://goo.gl/maps/9fPvXVDb2dG2

They're about the same distance. The second way is less stressful in my mind. The Arlington Boulevard route has several crossings with high volume on/off ramps that tend to not stop for cyclists. It also involves going down Columbia Pike for a bit which can be challenging if she's traveling during rush hour. The Mt. Vernon > 110 Trail has a couple of traffic crossings, but cars tend to be kinder to cyclists. One caveat is that the bridge on 110 over 27 is currently being worked on. A temporary bike path is going up right now. Currently unsure of whether it will be a nightmare or not.

4. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    First step is to be like, "Yo gurl, don't you worry about it. Big Poppa Eric has got you covered, boo."

I live down the street from there. It's a bit dependent on how comfortable/confident a cyclist she is. If crossing over the Key Bridge, she can either go west of Arlington Cemetery by taking the bike trail along Arlington Boulevard to South Courthouse Road and then turn left on Columbia Pike. Here's the route: https://goo.gl/maps/8RcWAuSFjg62

The other option would be to cross over the Key Bridge and take the Mt. Vernon Trail to the 110 Trail past the Pentagon and then up Southgate Dr. Here's that route: https://goo.gl/maps/9fPvXVDb2dG2

They're about the same distance. The second way is less stressful in my mind. The Arlington Boulevard route has several crossings with high volume on/off ramps that tend to not stop for cyclists. It also involves going down Columbia Pike for a bit which can be challenging if she's traveling during rush hour. The Mt. Vernon > 110 Trail has a couple of traffic crossings, but cars tend to be kinder to cyclists. One caveat is that the bridge on 110 over 27 is currently being worked on. A temporary bike path is going up right now. Currently unsure of whether it will be a nightmare or not.
    I think you mean the Washington Blvd trail (VA27) over VA110 (aka Jeff Davis Highway).

900 S Orme Street is the Sheraton National hotel. Other options include taking MVT to the Columbia Island exit (just north of Humpback Bridge behind the Navy-Marine Memorial). Works well with Key, Roosevelt, Memorial, or 14th Street Bridges but closest to 14th. Go north through the marina parking lot and cross the bridge to the Pentagon. You can ride north to connect with Washington Blvd trail but this only involves crossing one ramp (exit from 27 to Pentagon North Parking) and then proceeding as Judd described to the Far East end of Columbia Pike by the 9/11 Memorial and then taking the back way up Southgate Road hugging the Cemetery/Ft Myer/Henderson Hall border up to S Orme Street.

There's also the possibility of riding through Ft Myer but that has gotten more complicated in the last few years due to "security restrictions" imposed on non-DoD personnel.

6. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The Arlington Boulevard route has several crossings with high volume on/off ramps that tend to not stop for cyclists.
    I have been pleased to find this isn't 100% true. The on/off ramps are high volume and you do have to stop and wait, but after one or two cars usually someone will [actually SEE YOU and] wave you through and give you a smile back when you thank them.

8. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for quick responses y'all. This is super helpful. I'll use this info and give it a go She want to try it out on the weekend before plunging into rush hour. Definitely not a very confident cyclist but we can fix that

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with the CCT -> Key Bridge -> MVT -> Rt 27 Trail -> Columbia Pike sidepath -> Southgate Rd route because:
    • only 2 on-road segments (short stretch of Water St at the end of the CCT and Southgate/Orme)
    • road crossings of GW Parkway and Route 27 are not much of a hassle
    • the route is relatively flat with only one hill climb

The Arlington Blvd Trail route, on the other hand:
    • requires one to go through downtown Rosslyn (not fun) to get to the Arlington Blvd Trail
    • on-/off-ramp crossings as one navigates the Arlington Blvd/Washington Blvd interchange are not pleasant; one really needs to be assertive to try and get drivers to stop for them
    • involves four hill climbs
    • navigates the Columbia Pike/Washington Blvd interchange which, while not as bad as before the bridge replacement, is still not terribly bike-friendly

11. Likes Judd, ewilliams0305 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I have been pleased to find this isn't 100% true. The on/off ramps are high volume and you do have to stop and wait, but after one or two cars usually someone will [actually SEE YOU and] wave you through and give you a smile back when you thank them.
    You are totally fortunate. I usually have to wait for 10 cars before I start giving the "I'm going to jump in front of your car" body language to get someone to stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance she can find a sponsor for a Fort Myer AIE pass? Given the endpoint, that commute is just begging for an easy trip from Wright Gate to Henderson Hall Gate.

Info (not sure if it's up to date): http://www.bikearlington.com/pages/m...ery-fort-myer/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Any chance she can find a sponsor for a Fort Myer AIE pass? Given the endpoint, that commute is just begging for an easy trip from Wright Gate to Henderson Hall Gate.

Info (not sure if it's up to date): http://www.bikearlington.com/pages/m...ery-fort-myer/
    If she has a husband/partner who is a DoD employee or contractor, yes. If not, SOL.