Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on "Adventure Bikes"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice needed on "Adventure Bikes"

Hello!

I am shopping for a new bike after my Specialized Crosstrail was stolen at the Grosvenor Metro in broad daylight at around 3:00pm in the afternoon. (So I am shopping for a better lock too!!!)

While sleeping a whole new class of bicycles has appeared - "Adventure Bikes". The Crosstrail hybrid bike could move fast and with mid-size knobby tires and front fork suspension seemed perfect for Washington, DC long rides on paved roads, C&O tow path and George Washington National Forest dirt roads.

These are the recommended Adventure Bikes priced $900 - $1400. Any suggestions or comments on these bikes would be appreciated!

Marin Gestalt
    Raleigh Willard 1*
    Jamis Renegade Expat *
    Specialized Diverge Sport A1
    Masi Giramondo
    Giant Toughroad SLR1
    Kona Sutra
    Novara Safari
    KHS Grit 220 *
    Ridley X-Trail
    Cannondale Slate
    Specialized Sequoia

Post Thanks / Like

If your budget permits, I'd also strongly urge you in the direction of the Salsa Fargo (and probably also the Vaya).

By which I mean: GET A FARGO. It is the happiest-making bike in the universe.

3. Likes Sunyata, rcannon100, ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a preference for drop bars or flat? I ask because the crosstrail is a flat bar and you have a mix of both in your list.

"Adventure" is a subjective marketing term...within Specialized's line-up alone in addition to the Diverge you listed they also offer the Sequoia, AWOL and more.

You may want to look at both the Giant Anyroad and Revolt models. Both have models under $1400 and are similar to a Specialized Diverge or Jamis Renegade.

For reference, I have a Revolt and love it. I find it soaks up vibration from tar & chip roads and handles large/loose gravel well. The gearing is hill friendly and while its not the lightest bike out there, it has never felt heavy or slow to me. It's built to take larger tires, so you can easily customize to the type of road conditions you want to ride. My only knock is that it's not the tightest turning bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phatboing View Post
    If your budget permits, I'd also strongly urge you in the direction of the Salsa Fargo (and probably also the Vaya).

I dunno...I saw a Soma Wolverine in CX garb (gears, CX tires on H+Son Archetypes, no rack, no fenders) last night and drooled all over myself. Would definitely be my choice if I was looking for a utility/adventure bike.

6. Likes vvill, Phatboing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I dunno...I saw a Soma Wolverine in CX garb (gears, CX tires on H+Son Archetypes, no rack, no fenders) last night and drooled all over myself. Would definitely be my choice if I was looking for a utility/adventure bike.
    Those look good with racks and fenders, too.

I have a line on a 54 frameset for cheap, if anyone's looking for one.

8. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

(watching this thread)

I'll be in the market for a gravel/touring/adventure bike soon. I also want something that won't be too out of place in an occasional fun 'cross race, and I'd like the experience of building a bike from a frame. I've been oggling the Wolverine for a while - I'd love to build one of those up as a 1x (not for any real reason other than I think they're cool).

Unfortunately, I'm 5'11", so probably a bit too tall for the 54 =(

10. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a couple of forum folks that have Jamis Renegades all of whom are super happy with them. Komorebi has one with sweet fenders that makes me jealous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmj7gh View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm 5'11", so probably a bit too tall for the 54 =(
    It's a long bike, so it may not be too far off. The Soma website has the complete geometry if you haven't already looked there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I have definitely had that reaction (more so because I have a weakness for orange bikes). The Fargo, though, has been mountain biking, long-distancing, gravel-mucking, pavement smashing, and commuting, and is incredibly fun in all these situations.

The only answer is to get both.

14. Likes rcannon100, huskerdont, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phatboing View Post

My Salsa Vaya still makes me giddy like a little girl.

16. Likes huskerdont liked this post