Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Danger Panda Pointless Prize

Post Thanks / Like

Default Danger Panda Pointless Prize

If it's not too late, I'd like to offer a pointless prize:

Attachment 13173

This is what'll getcha it.

For you selfie daredevils out there, this is the Danger Panda Pointless Prize:

To qualify, you must:
    • Take a current pic or vid from overhead and have at least a little of both the bike and yourself in the picture
    • Have both hands off the bars
    • Be in forward motion and not be leaning on anything or anyone
    • Be riding a bike. Tandems and trikes don't count.
    • Be looking into the camera (at least 1 eyeball visible)
    • Not crash after taking the picture
    • Wear a helmet. We don't necessarily have to see the helmet, but if it's clear you're not wearing one, it won't count.

Doing all the above will get you 1 point. The following will get you more points:
    • +1 for each foot visibly off the pedals
    • +1 for each foot on the top tube
    • +1 for video of and done by yourself in the danger panda position (3 second minimum)

If you're crazy enough and do all of the above, you can max out at 6 points (1 for entry, +2 for both feet off the pedals, +2 for both feet on the top tube, +1 for video). This danger panda pic of Dirt (which I'm using without his permission) is an almost perfect score of 5. A vid would have gotten him 6 points.

IMG_1500 by Pete Beers, on Flickr

Each picture is graded separately (i.e., points are not cumulative from all your entries). The pic with the most points wins. If there are ties, there will be a vote by the forum for a winner.

Please accept your own actions, and do NOT:
    • Get hurt
    • Attempt if you don't know how to use a camera while riding a bike
    • Try it if you aren't totally comfortable riding with no hands and doing silly stuff on the bike.
    • Try this in traffic or around cars
    • Sue me

I won't take responsibility for anyone hurting themself!

Post the picture or video in this thread, or a link to it so it's easy to find. Entries accepted now (2/12/17) until Freezing Saddles 2017 ends.

Begin!
    Last edited by drevil; 03-27-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: clarification

2. Likes vvill, ewilliams0305 liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a good opportunity for me to ask a question I've been kind of afraid to ask. What is the secret to riding hands-free? It can't be purely a disregard for one's safety. I see people ride for blocks without touching the handlebars. It can't be JUST a core thing - while my core strength isn't winning any awards, I can do something resembling a track stand on the longtail with 125+ pounds of children on the bike.

What am I missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    This is a good opportunity for me to ask a question I've been kind of afraid to ask. What is the secret to riding hands-free? It can't be purely a disregard for one's safety. I see people ride for blocks without touching the handlebars. It can't be JUST a core thing - while my core strength isn't winning any awards, I can do something resembling a track stand on the longtail with 125+ pounds of children on the bike.

What am I missing?
    I can do some silly stuff on the bike, but I'm not a great instructor because I forget to mention things that I don't think about. With that said...

Two things that I think people that can't ride without hands don't do:
    1. Go fast enough
    2. Lean back enough after letting go of the bars

I've found that once you get to a certain speed (which is different for every bike), the bike will stay upright on its own accord. When you figure out that speed, let go of the bars and shift your weight back. You can then steer the bike leaning slightly with your hips.

Once you get that down, unclip...

Look Ma, No Hands No Feet! by ricky d, on Flickr

Also, it helps to use a bike that doesn't have floppy or twitchy steering. When I tried it on some friends' fat bikes, if you turn a little, the front wheel will flop immediately and you'd go down quick. As for twitchy, I can't ride no handed for too long on my Brompton. Maybe I just need more practice on that one.
    Last edited by drevil; 02-12-2017 at 11:06 PM.

5. Likes ewilliams0305, jrenaut liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post

What am I missing?
    The bike itself has some effect too, I think. My gravel bike doesn't like no hands unless I'm going pretty fast, but my Cinelli seems like it could ride itself at walking speeds. I've also found that pedaling helps even out my balance. I'd say pedal yourself up to a decent speed, lean back and relax, take hands off bars, and keep up a smooth cadence and you should be able to do it.

Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 02-13-2017 at 12:08 AM.

7. Likes drevil, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Headset must be well adjusted and no pitting of the bearing races.

9. Likes ewilliams0305, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Waiting to hear how many people fall off/crash.

11. Likes ewilliams0305, drevil, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    Waiting to hear how many people fall off/crash.
    I see you're a sadist, chuxtr, since you liked my original post which helped pushed this pointless prize to fruition!

It's not that hard if you keep your feet on the pedals, so submit one, Chuck!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chuxtr.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	13717

13. Likes chuxtr, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    It's not that hard if you keep your feet on the pedals, so submit one, Chuck!
    I'm a former (local) racer and have no problems riding no hands ... even riding in a group. Although I can't make any claims about being able to ride no feet. But prefer not to test the limits of my luck taking a selfie while riding.

15. Likes drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Extra point for doing this in a panda costume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes vvill, kwarkentien, Rod Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Extra point for doing this in a panda costume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure, why not?