Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Going from a triple to a double - what don't I know?

jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Agree to disagree on this point!
    It's a subjective opinion for sure

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I have found rather little correlation between PRs and equipment.
    Au contraire. I have never set a PR on my unicycle.

3. Likes hozn, Judd liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

After switching one of my bikes from square taper to external BB I ended up switching all of them (even the beater bikes). I much prefer them!

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    Yeah, I get the compatibility with modern parts, and figured with larger bearings, durability should be better. But in practice, doesn't having the bearings outside the frame expose them to grit and grime, especially off-pavement, and make them go kaput sooner? Kaput meaning rough and unpleasant feeling, not necessarily failure like the above picture?
    Yeah, I generally replace external BB bearings around 6k miles, but that is because they start making noise. I've never had one fail catastrophically. The worst experience I had was a Chris King BB where it had sufficiently seized in the frame to destroy the threads when removing it. That was because it was in for a year thanks to using the grease injector gun. That was a waste of money, though, since it only lasted 1.5x as long as a $20 GXP BB, required frequent service, and cost 7x as much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    After switching one of my bikes from square taper to external BB I ended up switching all of them (even the beater bikes). I much prefer them!
    What is it that you prefer about them? I am curious about going external BB for an upcoming build but don't yet have a rationale, except that despite having the tools and experience to install and remove square taper cranks, doing it still makes me a bit apprehensive.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    What is it that you prefer about them? I am curious about going external BB for an upcoming build but don't yet have a rationale, except that despite having the tools and experience to install and remove square taper cranks, doing it still makes me a bit apprehensive.
    I also prefer them even if the longevity may less clear-cut.

They are easier to install/remove IMO. And you can replace the cartridge bearings (with some equipment) making them cheaper. And they are lighter, generally. But mostly they are the standard for standard threaded BB shells now and any nicer modern crankset I can think of will use some form of external BB for threaded shell.

Aesthetically I also like the closer fit / tighter spacing of crankarms against frame when using external cups, but that isn't a major consideration for me when it comes to the BB. I want one that is quiet for as long as possible and then is inexpensive and easy to replace when that is no longer true.

8. Likes vvill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why one would choose to run a square-taper BB when a stronger, cheaper, lighter alternative exists and is now commonplace in the industry.

10. Likes vvill, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    I don't see why one would choose to run a square-taper BB when a stronger, cheaper, lighter alternative exists and is now commonplace in the industry.
    Because not all cranksets are compatible with external BBs.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

What hozn + HarryMm said. Additionally, in my experience external BBs also eliminate the futzing around with square taper BB spindle measurements (just look at this https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html ) and also issues with having to tighten the cranks enough to stay on the square tapered part of the BB, whilst not having them too tight. Hollowtech II / GXP are just sooo much easier to deal with (and other systems too I assume - my bikes are all one of those two).

There might be a special crankset like a Rene Herse where you could justify a square taper but then I'd also want a quill stem and downtube shifters, I guess. And all brake cables protruding up and out of the hoods. And there'd better be some mighty fine lug work on the frame.

13. Likes hozn, ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dismal! Where are you when we need you?!?

15. Likes ginacico, jrenaut liked this post