Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 157

Thread: Going from a triple to a double - what don't I know?

  1. #41
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So of course this thread got me thinking about the FD and RD situations on my gravel/commuter bike, both of which have been driving me nuts because neither will run both quietly and shift smoothly...it also reminded me that I was hoping to get a 1x11 drivetrain when I bought the bike, but was only available on much higher end bikes. Finally, it reminded me that I had some OT money to blow without risking my wife's wrath. So...a SRAM Rival 1 set is now en route to my house. Went with a 42t chainring with 11-36 cassette, which I hope will be well-suited to my commute that has both C&O and a long ass hill...much more lower speed stuff that would've made a 50t overkill and necessitated a 42t cog and long cage derailleur out back. Yay impulse buys!

  2. Likes dplasters, vvill, jrenaut liked this post
  3. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was sure Mr. Meatmotor was going to move on to "crank arm" before that rant was over. Oh well.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_cn-z.html#crank
    'Crank - The arm which connects the pedal to the bottom bracket axle. Sometimes called a "crank arm", but this is redundant and inelegant. Call it a crank, or call it an arm, but please don't call it a "crank arm" '

  4. Likes jrenaut liked this post
  5. #43
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I was sure Mr. Meatmotor was going to move on to "crank arm" before that rant was over. Oh well.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_cn-z.html#crank
    'Crank - The arm which connects the pedal to the bottom bracket axle. Sometimes called a "crank arm", but this is redundant and inelegant. Call it a crank, or call it an arm, but please don't call it a "crank arm" '
    If you take your bike into the shop and just say "my arm is broken", they'll probably look at you funny and refer you to the nearest hospital.

  6. Likes jrenaut liked this post
  7. #44
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    So...a SRAM Rival 1 set is now en route to my house. Went with a 42t chainring with 11-36 cassette, which I hope will be well-suited to my commute that has both C&O and a long ass hill...much more lower speed stuff that would've made a 50t overkill and necessitated a 42t cog and long cage derailleur out back. Yay impulse buys!
    I'm guessing that will be easy enough, since your new low gear is just slightly lower than a 34:28, which I'm guessing was your previous low gear?

    And your 42:11 is still 30mph @ 100rpm with a 28mm tire. That's pretty fast. (A friend participates in quite fast group rides on his 1x10 with a 42t ring.)

    The huge upgrade here, though, is switching to hydro disc! (I assume that's what's happening, right?) Of all the things I have upgraded in recent years, that stands out as one of the biggest impacts.

  8. #45
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    The huge upgrade here, though, is switching to hydro disc! (I assume that's what's happening, right?) Of all the things I have upgraded in recent years, that stands out as one of the biggest impacts.
    Nah, I just went with a standard mechanical brakes with the Rival 1 crankset and RD. Besides the hydros being almost 3x the cost, I've actually been very happy with the TRP Spyre mechanicals on this bike. The brake feel is great and comparable to rim brakes, and they've been super easy to keep adjusted...they've really been the only component on this bike that I haven't been itching to upgrade (not including the perfectly fine seatpost, stem, and handlebars). Saddle, wheelset, and drivetrain will have been totally replaced once this little operation is complete.

  9. #46
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Nah, I just went with a standard mechanical brakes with the Rival 1 crankset and RD. Besides the hydros being almost 3x the cost, I've actually been very happy with the TRP Spyre mechanicals on this bike. The brake feel is great and comparable to rim brakes, and they've been super easy to keep adjusted...they've really been the only component on this bike that I haven't been itching to upgrade (not including the perfectly fine seatpost, stem, and handlebars). Saddle, wheelset, and drivetrain will have been totally replaced once this little operation is complete.
    Oh, ok. I guess I didn't know Sram encouraged (had a line of) 1x with rim brakes; I'm sure that'll be a great upgrade, regardless. Certainly will simplify things. And might lighten things up for you, though I'm guessing weight will be the same. Was it cheaper (or close enough) to go all-in with the new crank rather than just picking up a 1x ring for your current crank? Will the Rival 1 crank use a different bolt pattern (e.g. are those spiderless?). I probably could just google this

    Yeah, Spyres are great compared to rim brakes, but hydros are at least as great again compared to mechanicals (like Spyres). Single-finger braking from the hoods is pretty sweet, especially if you ride off-road. That and never having to adjust the brakes. The only downside to hydro has been that you don't realize the pads are done until they're basically done (the brakes give one warning "shudder" when they reach the end, I've learned). Of course, initial brake setup is a much bigger PITA w/ hydro. But so far has been set and forget after that. Knock on wood.
    Last edited by hozn; 02-15-2017 at 01:10 PM.

  10. #47
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Oh, ok. I guess I didn't know Sram encouraged (had a line of) 1x with rim brakes; I'm sure that'll be a great upgrade, regardless. Certainly will simplify things. And might lighten things up for you, though I'm guessing weight will be the same. Was it cheaper (or close enough) to go all-in with the new crank rather than just picking up a 1x ring for your current crank? Will the Rival 1 crank use a different bolt pattern (e.g. are those spiderless?). I probably could just google this
    If you look at the website for Rival 1, they list both their HRD or their mechanical shifters as options...and AFAICT the only parts they label specifically as "Rival 1" are the crankset, chainrings, and the non-shifting brake lever (both hydro and mechanical). I think the hydro stuff came out at the same time and so they marketed it as a holistic upgrade in that context, but nothing I can see points to any sort of optimization for hydro or whatever.

    Keeping my original crank was never an option. It's crap...about as stiff as a wet noodle and creaky. Also, the current crankset, while theoretically compatible with my Stages PM (it's GXP spindle, but "Oval Concepts" brand), has 172.5 arms, but my Stages is a 170mm. So I went with a 170mm Rival 1 crankset, which should allow me to put my Stages on this bike (it's currently on my Cinelli), assuming SRAM didn't radically change the Rival NDS arms...guess I'll find out soon enough!

  11. Likes hozn liked this post
  12. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    South Arlington
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    So of course this thread got me thinking about the FD and RD situations on my gravel/commuter bike, both of which have been driving me nuts because neither will run both quietly and shift smoothly...it also reminded me that I was hoping to get a 1x11 drivetrain when I bought the bike, but was only available on much higher end bikes. Finally, it reminded me that I had some OT money to blow without risking my wife's wrath. So...a SRAM Rival 1 set is now en route to my house. Went with a 42t chainring with 11-36 cassette, which I hope will be well-suited to my commute that has both C&O and a long ass hill...much more lower speed stuff that would've made a 50t overkill and necessitated a 42t cog and long cage derailleur out back. Yay impulse buys!
    We're going to need to see before and after pictures.

  13. #49
    vvill's Avatar
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney AU
    Posts
    2,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Keeping my original crank was never an option. It's crap...about as stiff as a wet noodle and creaky. Also, the current crankset, while theoretically compatible with my Stages PM (it's GXP spindle, but "Oval Concepts" brand), has 172.5 arms, but my Stages is a 170mm. So I went with a 170mm Rival 1 crankset, which should allow me to put my Stages on this bike (it's currently on my Cinelli), assuming SRAM didn't radically change the Rival NDS arms...guess I'll find out soon enough!
    I have a first-gen Rival GXP Stages 170mm and it fits on both the older Rival crankset on my Raleigh RXS and the newer Rival 22 crankset on my Warbird. The only difference that comes to mind is there are no washers between the pedal and cranks on the Rival 22 arms.

  14. Likes TwoWheelsDC liked this post
  15. #50
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well that shipped quick...I think this is everything I need:

    -crank
    -cassette
    -rear derailleur
    -rear shifter lever
    -front brake lever
    -fresh cables
    -bar tape

    I'm keeping my existing Wheels Mfg bottom bracket. Jon, I'll let you know how it goes!


  16. Likes Harry Meatmotor, hozn, jrenaut, dplasters liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •