Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Going from a triple to a double - what don't I know?

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    I think a 48 tooth single speed chainring would hit your chainstay, if you tried to mount it to your current crank's middle position. You could put it on the outside, but I think cross chaining would be pretty bad in the low gears.
    There's another option, popular with the Bicycle Quarterly crowd, a 46/30. But cranksets for that combo are uncommon and pricey. Sugino OX, White Industries, Compass, etc.
    FWIW, my bike is very similar to your Volpe, same geo, 32mm tires. I've tried many things on it but have settled on a 46/36/26. I'm not as strong as you, but everyone can use a triple on a windy day like today.
    Come bike my kids to school for a week, you'll catch right up :-)

I just took a look at it, and I'm not sure a 48 wouldn't fit on the middle ring. If I got a new single speed crankset, that would take care of it? Or maybe not?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Come bike my kids to school for a week, you'll catch right up :-)

I just took a look at it, and I'm not sure a 48 wouldn't fit on the middle ring. If I got a new single speed crankset, that would take care of it? Or maybe not?
    I don't know the details of a road triple, but it looks like the chainline is 1.5mm further out than a road double (according to Sheldon Brown). SRAM offsets their X-Sync rings (narrow-wide) inboard 2mm, so I think if you go with a 48t X-Sync ring, chainline would be fine.

Edit: nevermind! -- I misread that diagram/table. It looks like the middle ring for a triple is 45mm and the outside ring for a double is 46mm. With 5mm spacing the outside ring on a triple would be 50mm. So chain line would probably be a bit extreme if you put the n/w ring on the outside of a triple.

If you don't want to change the crankset, I would vote for a smaller ring and/or don't use SRAM (which offsets inboard). Someone may have some larger narrow-wide rings for you to test out to see what clears ... ?
    Last edited by hozn; 02-13-2017 at 01:43 PM.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just putting this out there as the voice of the boring, but why do anything? So you have a granny gear you never use. Just continue not to use it. Unless you break a brifter or a crank or FD, just leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Just putting this out there as the voice of the boring, but why do anything? So you have a granny gear you never use. Just continue not to use it. Unless you break a brifter or a crank or FD, just leave it alone.

A valid point. Phrased differently: "Why don't you buy some different new thing for your bike?"

5. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with this. I don't think there's much to be gained, and it's likely the only thing that'll be lighter is your wallet.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

7. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    A valid point. Phrased differently: "Why don't you buy some different new thing for your bike?"
    Or another bike. N+1. That's what I did with my triple road bike. Left it as a triple and got a custom road bike with Ultegra 11. Use both depending on the situation.

But the Volpe is a really nice bike, and I could see wanting to reduce spin weight and clunkiness of shifting. Either way.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Delete your account.

10. Likes jrenaut, Steve O, hozn, ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    ELITE Brett L. ELITED this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f148vr View Post
    I have to agree with this. I don't think there's much to be gained, and it's likely the only thing that'll be lighter is your wallet.
    Or wait until something breaks. That's what I did when I went from 3x to 1x. It was after my FD crapped out (It might have been the shifter; I can't recall anymore exactly what went wrong). I actually ran it on 1x for several months through the end of FS2015 by adjusting the limit screws on the FD to the middle ring. I learned I didn't really need the other rings, so I got rid of them and put a chain guard on the outside. I'm actually at 1x8 right now due to a little mixup, but will get back to 1x9 before long. My lowest gear is 42/32. I did Kill Bill with this setup.
    My bike still weighs more than 30 pounds, so it wasn't about weight for me; it was getting rid of 3 things that can break.

12. Likes hozn liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I realize the most efficient use of money would be to do nothing, but the thought of taking the front derailleur off and simplifying is really appealing. And I know my chain is shot, and probably the whole drivetrain, so most of it would be getting replaced anyway. Also it would be a good learning experience for me, as well as being fun.

14. Likes huskerdont, vvill, Steve O, EasyRider liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Or wait until something breaks. That's what I did when I went from 3x to 1x. It was after my FD crapped out (It might have been the shifter; I can't recall anymore exactly what went wrong). I actually ran it on 1x for several months through the end of FS2015 by adjusting the limit screws on the FD to the middle ring. I learned I didn't really need the other rings, so I got rid of them and put a chain guard on the outside. I'm actually at 1x8 right now due to a little mixup, but will get back to 1x9 before long. My lowest gear is 42/32. I did Kill Bill with this setup.
    My bike still weighs more than 30 pounds, so it wasn't about weight for me; it was getting rid of 3 things that can break.
    I did something similar on my beater bike. FD stopped working, so I just cut the FD cable. It was a 3x7, then a 1x7 that would sometimes drop to the little ring. I've since invested a little more to make it a 1x10 and it works great even for towing a 50lb kid.

16. Likes hozn liked this post