Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Going from a triple to a double - what don't I know?

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Done. The hardest part was re-cabling everything. Actual setup of the derailleur was relatively painless. Off to do a shakedown ride now, but man, this new setup looks a million times better.

2. Likes huskerdont, jrenaut, hozn liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Done. The hardest part was re-cabling everything. Actual setup of the derailleur was relatively painless. Off to do a shakedown ride now, but man, this new setup looks a million times better.
    Agreed!

I don't know if you have an easy way to measure it, but I am very curious what the chainline is for that crankset. The fit guide seems to suggest it is less than the 47.5 I would have assumed for a disc-brake-focused group (?)

I am considering getting a Force 1 to replace my Rival (double), but don't want to change my chain line.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Agreed!

I don't know if you have an easy way to measure it, but I am very curious what the chainline is for that crankset. The fit guide seems to suggest it is less than the 47.5 I would have assumed for a disc-brake-focused group (?)

I am considering getting a Force 1 to replace my Rival (double), but don't want to change my chain line.
    Specs say 45.5mm, and just eyeballing it (from roughly center of 86mm BB shell to chainring tooth) was like 44.7 according to my digital caliper...I'd assume enough margin of error in my measurement to trust the 45.5 number.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Specs say 45.5mm, and just eyeballing it (from roughly center of 86mm BB shell to chainring tooth) was like 44.7 according to my digital caliper...I'd assume enough margin of error in my measurement to trust the 45.5 number.
    Interesting. I imagine that it doesn't matter much on a long-chainstay frame, though I spend most time in the smaller cogs so I will probably stick with a double crankset with a single ring mounted to outside of spider. (Mine both measure 47.5)

jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a clutch derailleur that's compatible with my Shimano Tiagra 10spd shifter? I'm not even sure how to figure this out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Is there a clutch derailleur that's compatible with my Shimano Tiagra 10spd shifter? I'm not even sure how to figure this out.
    You might try this "compatibility chart" from Shimano if you can figure it out.

8. Likes drevil, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I have wished for something like this for a long time. Thanks for the link!

jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    This would be super helpful except now I'm looking at Shimano's website and it appears that they do not sell a 10 speed road derailleur that will take an 11-42 cassette. This is clearly going to require some more research.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this $20 WolfTooth bit would allow your existing 10-speed road RD and br—uh, shifter, to handle an 11-40 cassette. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/c...ducts/roadlink

No clutch, can't use a 42t rear cog, but maybe you don't need those things ...

12. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    This would be super helpful except now I'm looking at Shimano's website and it appears that they do not sell a 10 speed road derailleur that will take an 11-42 cassette. This is clearly going to require some more research.
    I believe the great folks at Bikenetic may have finagled something to make a mountain derailleur work with a road shifter for someone's cross bike that was swapped to an 11-42 ten speed cassette. You may ask Jan or Pete about it.

14. Likes Birru, jrenaut liked this post