Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Going from a triple to a double - what don't I know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I believe the great folks at Bikenetic may have finagled something to make a mountain derailleur work with a road shifter for someone's cross bike that was swapped to an 11-42 ten speed cassette. You may ask Jan or Pete about it.
    I was eyeing Jan's Raleigh Tamland last week and noticed he had a mountain RD and pulley to adapt the ratio to work with his road STIs. So yeah, definitely talk to them.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    This would be super helpful except now I'm looking at Shimano's website and it appears that they do not sell a 10 speed road derailleur that will take an 11-42 cassette. This is clearly going to require some more research.
    Are you trying to make this work with an existing chain ring? Easy solution is to just use a smaller ring up front so you don't need a platter-sized cog in the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me ig'nant, but why can't he just use a medium cage 10-speed mtn rear derailleur with his 10-speed brifters? Is the leverage ratio/cable pull different betwixt the Shimano 10-speed brifters and 10-speed mountain shifters?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Is the leverage ratio/cable pull different betwixt the Shimano 10-speed brifters and 10-speed mountain shifters?
    Yes, road 10 speed isn't compatible with Dyna-Sys (MTB 10 speed). Basically, any shimano rDer with Shadow routing won't work with road cable pull (that I'm aware of...). There are pulley adapters, but they don't like getting dirty. I wouldn't call them a good long term/high milage solution.

Generally, I'd recommend running a road shifter and derailleur setup with the Wolftooth drop link, and a 1x narrow-wide chainring. If you manage to drop chains on multiple occasions, consider running a chain guide like the ones from K-Edge or the upcoming one from Wolftooth.

(but, I'm patiently awaiting shimano's rumored 1x cross gruppo...)

5. Likes drevil liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Gevenalle also make brif... integrated shifters compatible with 10 speed Shimano MTB (amongst other options). Pricey though.

https://gevenalle.com/shifters/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    Gevenalle also make brif... integrated shifters compatible with 10 speed Shimano MTB (amongst other options). Pricey though.

https://gevenalle.com/shifters/
    notice something?

8. Likes hozn liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So I was looking at a gear inch calculator. I'm currently 50/39/30 and 10 speed 12-30. The gear inches in gears I actually use on a regular basis range from 43 to 103. If I switched to 48 and 11-42, that would be 30 to 116. I'd never really thought about that
    From earlier in the thread - I'm essentially trying to replicate the gear range i currently use at 3X10 with a 1X10. Pretty sure the whole drivetrain is shot so the only thing I was hoping to save was the brifter.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

From earlier in the thread - I'm essentially trying to replicate the gear range i currently use at 3X10 with a 1X10. Pretty sure the whole drivetrain is shot so the only thing I was hoping to save was the brifter.
    A 44t chainring with an 11-32 cassette will get you basically what you're looking for. I'm currently running an 11-32 cassette on my road bike with standard 10spd 105 medium cage derailleur (32 is definitely the max...). Going that route would let you keep your shifter and *potentially* your rear derailleur (assuming you don't have chain drop issues).

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    A 44t chainring with an 11-32 cassette will get you basically what you're looking for. I'm currently running an 11-32 cassette on my road bike with standard 10spd 105 medium cage derailleur (32 is definitely the max...). Going that route would let you keep your shifter and *potentially* your rear derailleur (assuming you don't have chain drop issues).
    Good idea. And if I have chain drop issues I can always change the derailleur later, or go with Harry's chain guide advice.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shift...harts-choices/

Shiftmate 6?

I would probably get a SRAM RD and use a shiftmate. Then you are 1 step closer to having a better shifting group :-) Plus SRAM 10sp road/mtb RD will work with 11sp road, so forward compatible.

Plus SRAM really supports 1x much better.