Thread: Patches

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patches

Hi all,

I was looking into getting some custom patches designed for the FS2017 Operation Deep Freeze prizes, but as these things go, they're more expensive than I anticipated and you have to buy them in larger batches than I need...

So, I'm wondering if people would want to buy a patch to iron or sew onto a pannier or something? Let me know. I'm hoping I'll be able to post a mock up of the design soon, and price would be about $6...

If not, then the ODF prizes may just have to be icicles, or slush balls (melted of course to reflect the non-winter we've had so far). Like I said, I'm hoping I can post an idea of the design soon. But let me know if you're interested. ODF winners will obviously get their patches free.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Check in with Mary Gersemalina on how she gets the coffeeneuring patches. She charges only $5. Still not free, but worth comparing notes.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you think I got the e-mail for the guy I'm consulting with. Heh. Yeah... patches are just expensive, and they have to be made in batches. Anyway, I think if I go ahead with this, it would make the most sense to just take off the year so they can be for any year. Anyway, I'm still deciding.

Post Thanks / Like

I want one.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure Mary uses Falls Creek Outfitters (don't quote me on that tho) which I've used myself and have been happy with. Bicycling Magazine had a cover story last year featuring a cover photo of a bunch of his patches on a rando bag: http://www.bicycling.com/culture/art...dass-than-ever

I think you're on the right track with a patch that's not year specific.

Post Thanks / Like

Any other interest?? I would need at least a dozen or so to be on the hook for that amount of money. The patches would look similar to below... however, instead of Antarctica would have a snowflake, and instead of the North arrow a bike wheel of sorts, and with different wording obviously. Walter is going to help me design something, since I have no skills at that.

Name:  IMG_1087.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  94.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Any other interest?? I would need at least a dozen or so to be on the hook for that amount of money. The patches would look similar to below... however, instead of Antarctica would have a snowflake, and instead of the North arrow a bike wheel of sorts, and with different wording obviously. Walter is going to help me design something, since I have no skills at that.

Name:  IMG_1087.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  94.1 KB
    I want one. Do you have an Antarctica connection? Or is that just an example.

8. Likes creadinger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by closebr View Post
    I want one. Do you have an Antarctica connection? Or is that just an example.
    I do! I was deployed on the USCGC Polar Star for Jan-Feb last year for Operation Deep Freeze 2016. I work at the National Ice Center as an ice analyst so I helped them with operational support to clear a channel in the ice to resupply McMurdo. It was a pretty amazing trip! These 2015 patches were what I gave out for my pointless prize last year. Unfortunately the CG never got around to making ODF2016 patches so I could have one for myself. But I thought something similar might make a cool prize for the coldest rides during FS.

10. Likes ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    I do! I was deployed on the USCGC Polar Star for Jan-Feb last year for Operation Deep Freeze 2016. I work at the National Ice Center as an ice analyst so I helped them with operational support to clear a channel in the ice to resupply McMurdo. It was a pretty amazing trip! These 2015 patches were what I gave out for my pointless prize last year. Unfortunately the CG never got around to making ODF2016 patches so I could have one for myself. But I thought something similar might make a cool prize for the coldest rides during FS.
    Sweet. I was at MCM in the 2006/2007 season on a research team for 3 months. That year it was the USCGC Polar Sea that helped break out the channel. I remember watching it from Hut Point every evening as it slowly made its way in. We got to go aboard and meet the crew, really exciting when the ship finally comes in.

That patch is an awesome FS prize! I might have a couple of USAP patches tucked away somewhere.

12. Likes creadinger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would buy one.

14. Likes creadinger liked this post