Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L!g!a!

Post Thanks / Like

Default L!g!a!

I've done these rides on 23s, but their suggestions are best!

Gravel grinders -

We will ride tonight. It's been dry(ish), so the towpath should be OK. It'll be warm but getting cooler rapidly as we ride. There may be a sprinkle or two toward the end.

Weather & Towpath Conditions:

Weather should be mostly cloudy, 58°F at the start, falling to 51° by end of ride (and cooler once on the towpath).

The first few miles between Georgetown and Lock 6 may have a few mudholes (it doesn't drain well, to be frank), but after that it should be OK. If you have fenders or mudguards, they are highly recommended!

A few things of note:

Dress for the weather! Plan accordingly.

Bring FULLY CHARGED front and rear lights. You'll need to have a FULL CHARGE for your lights, as they'll need to last 2+ hours of sustained use. These need to be lights that will light the path in front of you - a simple blinker will not suffice. Need help finding good lights? District Cycle Works can help you out.

Less light = ride more slowly. Hazards on the towpath - mud holes, embedded rocks, fallen branches, deer, other trail users - are not as easily seen or avoided after dark. Let's dial down the pace - it's not a race, it's not a ride to go for Strava segments.

Wider tires = happier you. Definitely consider riding a bike with wider tires to absorb any hits you don't anticipate, and make sure you are running enough air in your tires. Road tires are not a sure bet once the ride is completely in the veil of darkness.

Bring the right tools to service your bike in the field! A few riders have been caught without unique/proprietary tools for fixing their bikes on the road. If you have a different setup (e.g. solid-axle hubs, locking skewers, odd-size wheels/tires), please bring the right tools and parts to fix things in the field.

Please: no blinking rear lights while riding in a group! Yes, even the subtle fade-blink lights need to be set to a sustained glow. Blinking lights tend to be hypnotic and, frankly, dangerous when riding in close proximity of other cyclists. Also: make sure your rear light's attachment is stable: a shaking LED light is about the same as a strobe when seen from behind.

Bells are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. We have done well with our bells - let's keep it up! If you need a bell, District Cycle Works carries both Incredibell and Spurcycle models, both of which are loud and have a pitch that can be heard over music and conversation. If you need a bell, talk with Matt before the ride.

What is most important is that your bicycle is in proper running shape for a sustained effort of approximately an hour or two over mixed terrain. Inspect your tires, chain, wheels, and saddle bags to ensure everything is ready for the evening. Have questions about your gear? Find Rudi or Matt before, during, or after the ride and we can talk more. At the very least, please bringing a spare tube, proper to your tire size.

“Lights! Gravel! Action!” will roll Wednesday at 6pm from District Cycle Works (2603 P Street NW) - as long as the weather is up to the challenge. Any questions? Let us know.

Hope to see you there!

Rudi & Matt

2. Likes Rod Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default L!G!A! is Tonight!

The ride posted above is 6 pm this evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this going to be a regular Wednesday thing? (Which would be awesome)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pace?

What kind of pace do you guys typically go at? I'm guessing this is an out and back, so the whole no-drop thing doesn't really matter that much, but I'm just curious. Thanks!

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It tends to be pretty fast for the canal. I'd take the language in the OP with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds regular, then.

Post Thanks / Like

L!G!A! (Lights! Gravel! Action!) is a reoccurring towpath ride departing from District Cycle Works at 26th and P NW at 6:00 pm on Wednesdays from late September until around the end of March. It's an out and back to the bridge just past mile 11. The pace tends to vary anywhere between 16-17 avg mph to 20-21 avg mph. Heading out of the city is pretty social with as many as 25-30 riders on a warm night like we had yesterday. The group tends to split up a bit once out of the city with the fast group working a rotating paceline and those looking to take it easy keeping it social off the back. The fast group can be pretty fast. Last night one guy picked up a KOM by averaging 21.9 mph on the 10.5 mile segment between Carderock and Whitehurst. Afterwards a bunch us roll through Glen's Garden Market (Dupont) for $4 drafts and nosh. If this sounds like something you'd be into you can sign up for the weekly email here: https://goo.gl/forms/7NBX9y4fyzvSzICI2

10. Likes Rod Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctankcycles View Post
    L!G!A! (Lights! Gravel! Action!) is a reoccurring towpath ride departing from District Cycle Works at 26th and P NW at 6:00 pm on Wednesdays from late September until around the end of March. It's an out and back to the bridge just past mile 11. The pace tends to vary anywhere between 16-17 avg mph to 20-21 avg mph. Heading out of the city is pretty social with as many as 25-30 riders on a warm night like we had yesterday. The group tends to split up a bit once out of the city with the fast group working a rotating paceline and those looking to take it easy keeping it social off the back. The fast group can be pretty fast. Last night one guy picked up a KOM by averaging 21.9 mph on the 10.5 mile segment between Carderock and Whitehurst. Afterwards a bunch us roll through Glen's Garden Market (Dupont) for $4 drafts and nosh. If this sounds like something you'd be into you can sign up for the weekly email here: https://goo.gl/forms/7NBX9y4fyzvSzICI2
    This sounds fun. I signed up for the email and will hopefully be able to join in on Wednesday. I can probably keep up if the pace is 16-17, but I am not sure about 20 unless someone wants to tow me!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pace, etc.

Yes, every Wednesday until we start Downtown Breakaway. There are plenty of people who do a slower pace and I wish the group would break up more than it does (everyone tends to get carried into the faster paces at least in the beginning). It really depends on your confidence and what type of bike you have as to whether you'll hang with the Cat 2,3 people! But there are people with injuries and newbies, so ask around at the beginning and you'll probably find folks taking it easier.

The only reason I even found this ongoing discussion is because Strava is down. I find these forums cumbersome!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to try this for the first time tonight. Anybody else?

Now the question is what kind of bike to suffer upon?