Thread: Citi Bikes to start projecting lasers onto the streets

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Citi Bikes to start projecting lasers onto the streets

NYCís Citi Bike is aiming to make the already safe bike sharing scheme (nearly 37 million trips since the systemís installation in 2013 and zero fatalities) even safer by installing laser safety lights that project a bright green bicycle outline 20 feet ahead, making bicyclists more visible to drivers and pedestrians at night. The Laserlights from UK company Blaze will be piloted on 250 bikes by mid-March. If funding is secured, all 6,000 bikes at 603 stations in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey City will be equipped with the laser safety lights by the end of this year.

Name:  Citi-Bikes-and-Blaze-lasers-2-537x318.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  45.4 KB

http://inhabitat.com/nyc/citi-bikes-to-start-projecting-lasers-onto-the-streets/

2. Likes Steve O, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While at first I thought it was bizarre, I actually think the concept is pretty neat. Projecting an image or any sort of light about 20 feet ahead on the pavement helps to increase the visibility of the cyclist in the same way that one can identify a car approaching on a cross-street by the pavement becoming more illuminated as it approaches.

I think it will work the best for cross-street traffic. My only concern would be the fact that you have a laser light potentially blinding someone when cresting a hill (not a big deal in NYC, but they do exist there) or if the cyclist gets road rage and picks up their front wheel on purpose to blind someone (it's NYC, someone's going to figure this out). Either way, I think there are going to be some interesting stories involving these laser lights.

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From seeing it person, it's not nearly as bright or obvious as the video shows. I wouldn't hold your breath on it coming to Capital Bikeshare any time soon.

6. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I were a driver and saw something skittering on the ground, I would not mentally associate that with a cyclist following 20 feet behind. On the other hand, bike-mounted lasers!

8. Likes kwarkentien, Judd, bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm holding out for a device that projects custom text/images behind me, around curves, at a distance of up to 300 feet.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in London a couple of weeks go and got a SantanderBike with this system mounted. It was neat, but I didn't feel that it enhanced my safety in any way...It's just not bright enough. In all but the darkest sections of street, it was barely visible (yes, I was riding at night...). I'd rather have a rear mounted system that projects laser lanes, but even then I think brightness would be an issue.

Here's what it looks like on about the darkest section of pavement I found in London:

11. Likes kwarkentien, bobco85, KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to mount a laser on my bike I better be able to blow up a black BMW or else what's the point?

13. Likes Steve O, Judd, kwarkentien liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    If you're going to mount a laser on my bike I better be able to blow up a black BMW or else what's the point?

Jump the Shark!

15. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd worry about idiot drivers staring at the laser show and not noticing the cyclist