Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike Wash Station

Post Thanks / Like

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but I would not gotta do that. If you clog the tub drain, it's much harder to remove the trap than it is for a sink drain, at least for all the bathtubs I've lived with.

In the winter, I attach 3-ft section of old, cut-off hose to the outside spigot. If there is excessive mud on a bike (or tons of road salt chunks), that's what I use. Otherwise, preference is to just wipe things clean. Obvs. different if you live in an apartment.

For the washing station, it looks like the urinals in certain dive bars I've been too. I suppose this would not be a selling point with the significant other?

2. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post

For the washing station, it looks like the urinals in certain dive bars I've been too. I suppose this would not be a selling point with the significant other?
    Sorry that I peed on your bike.

Made me think of a dive bar in St. Louis called the creepy crawl that seriously had a bathroom that was almost like an open pit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Sorry that I peed on your bike.

Made me think of a dive bar in St. Louis called the creepy crawl that seriously had a bathroom that was almost like an open pit.
    As some of you already know there's one of these bike wash stations behind the parking lot at the tip of Hains Point, it's free and heated and open 24 hours a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    As some of you already know there's one of these bike wash stations behind the parking lot at the tip of Hains Point, it's free and heated and open 24 hours a day.
    Must be why Judd's bikes always look so sharp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    Werd! When I wanted to surprise my buddy by washing his bike at the single-bike washing bowls that are so prevalent in our area, I couldn't find the scrubbing brush which usually sit beside them. I sent him a text asking if he had any ideas where it could be, and he had the GALL TO GET MAD AT ME?!?!?!

Good samaritanism doesn't pay anymore (or my buddy's just an ingrate).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8411_4.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	13496

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Must be why Judd's bikes always look so sharp.
    I bought a three year warranty from Revolution Cycles that will replace the drivetrain for free, so the maintenance has been pretty lax on the new bikes.

8. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a three year warranty from Revolution Cycles that will replace the drivetrain for free, so the maintenance has been pretty lax on the new bikes.
    So do they replace worn chainrings/chains/cassettes (even from wear)? If so, the only way that I can think that they can come out winning is hoping people forget about this warranty or charge a lot for it in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for the KPP warranty. I'm probably close to $10K in replacement parts and labor across six bikes!

11. Likes kwarkentien, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    So do they replace worn chainrings/chains/cassettes (even from wear)? If so, the only way that I can think that they can come out winning is hoping people forget about this warranty or charge a lot for it in the first place.
    Yes even from wear, but I think it has a limit on 2 full drive train replacements last I checked. I've used it on my old commuter and it's worth the money since if you ride hard, you'll use go through the cassette and chains over the warranty period if you have a standard set up. I also got it for my newer commuter bike with an IGH because if the IGH breaks it's ridiculously expensive to replace so I figured the $150 or whatever I paid was worth the peace of mind.

It's totally worth it on commuter bikes. It also covers any parts installed when the bike is purchased (fenders, racks and lights!), so when my back light broke that got covered too

They end up winning since you end up coming in and pay for the tune up that discovers the drive train issue and other (not covered) things they find to replace, so they get your money one way or the other. Plus they build a relationship with you so you end up spending all your monies there. I now live in S. Alexandria but I STILL go to Revolution for all tune ups and major bike issues since I like them more than anything close to me.
    Last edited by Emm; 01-30-2017 at 03:30 PM.

13. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Yes even from wear, but I think it has a limit on 2 full drive train replacements last I checked. I've used it on my old commuter and it's worth the money since if you ride hard, you'll use go through the cassette and chains over the warranty period if you have a standard set up. I also got it for my newer commuter bike with an IGH because if the IGH breaks it's ridiculously expensive to replace so I figured the $150 or whatever I paid was worth the peace of mind.

It's totally worth it on commuter bikes. It also covers any parts installed when the bike is purchased (fenders, racks and lights!), so when my back light broke that got covered too
    Essentially covers everything that isn't rubber. And covers parts/labor up to the cost of the bike you have it on. A $500 commuter, maybe only two drive trains. But a $5000 road bike would keep you covered for awhile!