Likes Likes:  168
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  12
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bikes of BAFS 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I discovered that my SKS P45 Longboard fenders are slightly too small for my schwalbe marathon 38s. I think my Handsome Devil is very similar to a Surly Crosscheck. Wondering if you can squeeze the 52mm fenders on there....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nona and Blanche

My bikes. I'm relatively new (2014) to any serious bicycling and can't spout off a lot of stats about my bikes, but I do like to take a lot of pictures of them. I mean - a lot.

Meet Nona. She's the workhorse of the season, and this is her third Freezing Saddles. These are the only tires she has, but she has cunning and determination and has been up to the challenge of taking me at least somewhere on the very worst weather days. (I have ridden every day during the competitions so far). Last year she got her fenders and this year she got her rack and some panniers. So convenient for doughneuring! Nona's a bounder despite weighing in at about 40 pounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nona.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	13451

Now meet Blanche. As you can tell, Blanche is more like a fair-weather kinda gal. Still, I've had to tip her upside down after riding through torrential rain before, so she's not afraid of a little dirt or gravel once in a while - despite her pedigree.

Name:	Blanche.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	13452
    Last edited by Mtansill; 01-27-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the two bikes I've been riding for BAFS 2017, my Kona Rove.

Name:	DSCN1556[1].jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	13483

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

A week later and here is the other bike I've been riding for BAFS 2017, my Surly Pugsly OPS. I have 45 Nrth 26 x 4 studded Dillinger tires on it that I expect won't get switched for non-studs until spring.

Name:	DSCN1572[1].jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	13574

Post Thanks / Like

Default No reindeer games for him.

The bicycle that got me banned from participating in FS (not just banned from using it to log FS miles). This vehicle is great on wind chill days--no face mask needed. Very stable in cross winds but the power requirements go up a lot unless I slow down. I don't like temps below 20 because of my discomfort with freezing fingers. I haven't had a chance to try pushing through accumulated snow. This winter i've been keeping up with my 100 mi/week commuting schedule. I even got in one 70 mile weekend ride pulling a trailer with a protest sign.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity how do you park it in the city? It's too big for a bike rack and the sidewalk so do you park and pay for an ordinary parking spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parking

I don't come into DC. I park in the garage in Tyson's. The building engineers have been especially kind. For a long time I parked in the car recharging area because it was unused. Eventually a Tesla started using the charger and the owner complained that I made it harder to park. The engineers took it upon themselves to make me a special spot. They told me I deserved an electrical outlet as much as the Tesla and that's why they didn't tell me to park elsewhere until they had fixed a new outlet for me to use. Anyway, the garage doesn't change for parking so what rate to charge never became an issue.

The one time I came into DC there was a protest going on and the streets were closed to motor vehicle traffic but not to bicycles. I had no problem crossing the police lines and there were plenty of parking spots on the empty streets. At home I park it between the two vehicles in my 2 car garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    A week later and here is the other bike I've been riding for BAFS 2017, my Surly Pugsly OPS. I have 45 Nrth 26 x 4 studded Dillinger tires on it that I expect won't get switched for non-studs until spring.
    Envy. I'm sure you are aware of just how much my Dillingers have been needed around here.

Post Thanks / Like

With no snow to speak of, my well worn 1992 Bridgestone XO-1 appears to be my FS bike this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SolarBikeCar View Post
    The bicycle that got me banned from participating in FS not just banned from using it to log FS miles). This vehicle is great on wind chill days--no face mask needed. Very stable in cross winds but the power requirements go up a lot unless I slow down. I don't like temps below 20 because of my discomfort with freezing fingers. I haven't had a chance to try pushing through accumulated snow. This winter i've been keeping up with my 100 mi/week commuting schedule. I even got in one 70 mile weekend ride pulling a trailer with a protest sign.
    Shadow griping about not being able play the happy people silly reindeer games in the "Bikes of FS" thread while posting pix of an enclosed electric vehicle that you get in and drive/pedal assist a motor and noting that you don't like to use it below 20 deg?