Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Support the Trail Bridge over Lee Highway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Yeah, VDOT's concept rendering is about as bulky as can be.

More here - slides 14,15,16
    I actually agree that it's not a very attractive bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I actually agree that it's not a very attractive bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is hideous. VDOT clearly only designs giant highway interchanges. I can understand why they are complaining if that is the option. They need something more like what is across route 7.

I think I know the culvert the letter mentions - 4MR (the stream) goes under Washington St about where that traffic light for the fire station is. There is no trail of any kind there. They would need to take land from other places (e.g., car repair, fire station, etc.) to get the re-routing I think the letter is implying - which would be continue 4MRT into Issac Crossman Park and then continue the trail until about where the bridge over the stream is near the fire station. That isn't going to happen either. Too much land needs to be taken from others and I am sure there are folks who will complain about bicycles in the park - they are prohibited at present. Also, we do not need another under-road crossing next to 4MR that will flood in the rain - because then we will need to go to the road to cross and piss everyone off.
    Last edited by DrP; 01-25-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: improved english

Post Thanks / Like

I took a look at Google Street View images of a couple of bike trail bridges that I've traveled.

West Orange Trail Bridge in Apopka, FL - I like the look of this bridge (except the concrete palm trees).
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ap...322149!6m1!1e1

Metro BikeLink bridge in Belleville, IL - I hate the color scheme of this bridge and the font used, but I like the concept of wording/signage.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5298...8i6656!6m1!1e1

4. Likes secstate liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not the bike users that decided to ban themselves from crossman park...

6. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me be the first voice for abandoning the idea of a bridge and instead creating a tunnel. This is a video of a ride I did on the Seminole Wekiva Trail in Florida. The trail has two underpasses, both of which are at the intersection of major multi-lane highways.

https://youtu.be/cvLP71ZDfSo

8. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like I've heard this before:

1. A trail alignment that proceeds from the west along Four Mile Run behind the Fire House, under Lee Highway (using existing box culvert) and behind the West Lee condominium and live work units where it returns immediately to Westmoreland Street, whence as a bike lane or side path it follows Westmoreland to 19th Street to Van Buren Street to reconnect this the existing trail in Benjamin Banneker Park.
    Did someone discuss this option—or something very similar—on the forum before? Steve O maybe? I like this much better than a bridge over the existing crossing, but would prefer an actual bridge to a proposed trail alignment lost in endless community/committee debate.

KLizotte is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does VDOT's bridge have to be so long? I know they are trying to minimize the gradient but why? All I can think of is ADA requirements. There are steeper gradients along the trail due to hills. Perhaps because they have to build the bridge high enough so trucks can get through. Perhaps spirals could be used at both ends to get up to the top of the bridge. I agree that the bridge over Rte 7 is unobtrusive.

How about a tunnel instead?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not lovely, but it's no uglier than the Metro lines in Tyson's. The W&OD bridge over 28 is kind of ugly too, but no uglier than 28 itself; this bridge is exactly as ugly as its surroundings. It really should be more like the one over Route 7 though.

Rerouting is just a bait and switch. Once the bridge was dead, the rerouting would be opposed by the same people, plus some others.

A tunnel would have to be well done or some folks (like me) would just stick to the at-grade crossings. Tunnels can be expensive too, which is the reason Metro at Tyson's is above ground.

12. Likes dasgeh, LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Why does VDOT's bridge have to be so long? I know they are trying to minimize the gradient but why? All I can think of is ADA requirements. There are steeper gradients along the trail due to hills. Perhaps because they have to build the bridge high enough so trucks can get through. Perhaps spirals could be used at both ends to get up to the top of the bridge. I agree that the bridge over Rte 7 is unobtrusive.

How about a tunnel instead?
    I' prefer a tunnel, but it's a false choice. If they don't build the bridge, they aren't going to build a tunnel. They're going to do nothing except dump more cars across the intersection and maybe study a tunnel in 5 years and maybe build it in 15 and if they do it'll be Arlington money not State money.

14. Likes dasgeh, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And to be clear, the bridge hasn't been designed. That's a concept, but the bridge could look completely different.