Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Support the Trail Bridge over Lee Highway

Post Thanks / Like

Default Support the Trail Bridge over Lee Highway

As part of the I-66 widening, VDOT has proposed building a bridge for the W&OD trail over Lee Highway. This would improve safety for trail users as well as speeding everyone along. This has inexplicably become controversial and the County Board has heard from a number of neighborhood residents asking them to oppose the bridge. The project will be done as part of a design-build contract, so the design is still up-in-the-air. The at-grade crossing will remain as people who are frequenting the nearby businesses will still want to cross Lee Highway without having to do a large detour to get up onto the bridge.

If you would like to not have to contend with clueless and belligerent turning drivers at the Lee Highway Trail crossing, the Board needs to hear from you ASAP.

The Easy Option: Email the County Board at countyboard@arlingtonva.us It doesn't have to be long.
    The More Impactful Option: Come out to the County Board Meeting THIS SATURDAY and sign-up to speak on agenda item #37. The Virginia Department of Transportations Transform I-66 Inside the Beltway: Environmental Assessment for the widening of I-66 from the Dulles Connector to Fairfax Drive. [Don't be freaked out by the agenda number. The first 34 agenda items will all be done in a single vote, so this is really the 3rd agenda item.]

This grade-separated crossing is called for in the bicycle element of the Master Transportation Plan. It is important for safety now and will be even more important with the growing volume of turning cars coming as part of the I-66 widening. This intersection has been the location of at least 8 bike & ped crashes in recent years.

2. Likes kcb203, huskerdont, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Note that the Arlington-East Falls Church neighborhood association (or least its president) has come out against the project in a letter to the council. It's cloaked in "let's slow down and study this language" but the clear intent is to kill it. She cites a hodge-podge of "let's see if something sticks" reasons. Many if not most are pure non-sequitur, e.g., there are flaws in other parts of the trail so let's not fix this if we can't fix it all. A real doozy complaint is that a bridge, "presents a massive visual and functional barrier to the sights and activity of East Falls Church area."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thucydides View Post
    A real doozy complaint is that a bridge, "presents a massive visual and functional barrier to the sights and activity of East Falls Church area."
    Because that intersection is so lovely as it is...?

5. Likes KLizotte, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Because that intersection is so lovely as it is...?
    We don't want to detract from the natural beauty of the self storage building's parking lot.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are on the fence about supporting it, remember that a bridge will increase the amount of climbing for your commute.

8. ELITE Dachs6, kcb203 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    If you are on the fence about supporting it, remember that a bridge will increase the amount of climbing for your commute.
    I think this is a good thing. I think Subby thinks this is a good thing. Some may not think this is a good thing.

10. Likes Judd, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    We don't want to detract from the natural beauty of the self storage building's parking lot...
    ...or the awe-inspiring vista of the Cars USA inventory as seen from the Econo Lodge. There's a premium for those rooms, you know.

12. Likes Steve O, wheels&wings liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    ...or the awe-inspiring vista of the Cars USA inventory as seen from the Econo Lodge. There's a premium for those rooms, you know.
    Or the Metro station and the power substation.

14. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    I hate spoiling good jokes, but only if you choose the climb. "The at-grade crossing will remain"

Will be an interesting experiment, to see how riders pick between elevation versus avoiding a road crossing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Some may not think this is a good thing.
    Yes, I now purposefully ride Westmoreland St. instead of taking Van Buren up to the trail to slightly reduce the amount of climbing I have to do on my commute, although if a bridge were built, I would probably use it because no stop lights.