Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigander-You call THAT a snow day?!-Prize

Post Thanks / Like

Default Michigander-You call THAT a snow day?!-Prize

Hello, Ladies and gents, while we're still facing yet another week of rain-that-could-have been snow, I wanted to get the rules up for the Michigander-"You call THAT a snow day?!"-Prize!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow-cyclist-sm.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	13368

This prize is in honor of my homeland, the Mitten State, where traditionally snow days were only called if it snowed more than 5 inches starting after 3am (giving no time to clear the roads for buses), and MSU prided itself for not cancelling class due to weather since "that one time in the 70s." This was in lower Michigan of course, up North they shrug and drive on two feet of compacted snow.
    Further gravitas has been laid this year by the esteemed journal Thrillist naming Michigan the state with the "49th most enjoyable winters in America."

The rules are simple:

• The person who rides on the most official OPM-called "snow days" wins. This means weekdays when the operating status of the Federal government in the DC-area is CLOSED due to snow/winter weather. Late arrive/early departure days and snowy days on the weekend do not count.
    • Ties, which I anticipate will be many, will be broken by cumulative distance.
    • But wait? What if due to global warming/climate change/unseasonable-warm-spells-that-are-for-some-reason-inexplicable we don't get ANY snow days this year?
      In that case, the alternate winner will be whoever rides the most miles on Michigan's Birthday: January 26th (The day it became the 26th state in the Union. See what they did there?)

The Prize:
    The winner of the Michigander Prize will win a 6-pack of carefully curated craft brews from the Mitten State--it's so authentic I paid a 10-cent bottle deposit on each one!

I will use this thread to keep track of the snow days, but feel free to post your snow day ride pictures and stories. I just might come up with some runner-up prizes for such that best encapsulate one of our state mottos of "Winter Wonderland."

**Notice: This prize is not meant to encourage or promote dangerous or stupid behavior for the sake of winning. If conditions are bad or authorities are telling you to stay off the roads. In Michigan we stay in during the storm, and play hard in the snow afterward. Have fun but be safe!**

2. Likes Erin Potter, streetsmarts, Emm, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure you don't want to add an extra rule? One that would keep you from having to pay postage and ship those beers to me? Much as I may love me some tasty tasty Bells, it doesn't quite seem sporting to rack up a few easy miles when its 80 and sunny (IN JANUARY WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PLACE) while y'alls are trapped in Snowmageddon.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha! I grew up in northern Mass no more than 10 minutes from the NH border. The rule was that if the school superintendent could get his car out of his driveway we were going to school. One year some enterprising seniors snuck over in the middle of the night and piled the snow up at the end of his driveway. Unfortunately I don't recall if we got the day off or not. And this was before snowblowers were invented! The horror!

Oh, and I grew up in a house that was only heated with a wood stove in the basement (and, no, it was not at all warm on the top floor where the bedrooms were located). I spent my Saturdays out in the woods chopping down trees and stacking wood with my father and sister for about four months each year. It wasn't till I got to college that I realized that most people don't do that. That was also where I discovered the wonder and pleasure of central heating and haven't looked back since. Give me central heat or give me death!

Post Thanks / Like

ohhh you know they also sell Vernors around here now too? I have some stored under my desk at work for rough days.

I love my home state--coming to DC and having people panic over a tiny bit of snow amuses me to no end. When I was home for the holidays I watched people in my neighborhood bike around like it was no big deal when it was 10 degrees out and there was a foot of snow on the ground. Nothing beats the Mitten.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brn Moore View Post
    Sure you don't want to add an extra rule? One that would keep you from having to pay postage and ship those beers to me? Much as I may love me some tasty tasty Bells, it doesn't quite seem sporting to rack up a few easy miles when its 80 and sunny (IN JANUARY WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PLACE) while y'alls are trapped in Snowmageddon.
    Hmmm... I might have to tinker with this so it actually reflects riding on "snow days"

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    ohhh you know they also sell Vernors around here now too? I have some stored under my desk at work for rough days.

I love my home state--coming to DC and having people panic over a tiny bit of snow amuses me to no end. When I was home for the holidays I watched people in my neighborhood bike around like it was no big deal when it was 10 degrees out and there was a foot of snow on the ground. Nothing beats the Mitten.
    Yeeeeeeesssss!

Name:	high-five-michigan-lg.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	13412

7. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping for no snow days now, put in work yesterday. My roommate is from Michigan, when I told him about this pointless prize he laughed and said I better win it!

Good tip on the Vernor's Emm. I picked up a 6 pack yesterday and drank one to celebrate Michigan's bday, gifted my roomie the rest.

9. Likes Emm liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this will be inspirational

Name:	2017-01-26 18.11.08.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	13430

Available now at your local establishment of fine beers, but quantities are limited. I DID bike to the store to buy that, although it wasn't brewed there so it doesn't count for #beerneuring.

11. Likes sjclaeys, Jenkinms, QuikAF77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Maybe this will be inspirational

Name:	2017-01-26 18.11.08.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	13430
    Argh! Totally forgot to go looking for this years Hopslam! I'll swing by some places after work today, hopefully someone has it still. Not a fan of how expensive it is getting. Saw someone post about getting a sixxer in DC for $25.99!!

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

$21.99 at D'Vines in Columbia Heights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QuikAF77 View Post
    Argh! Totally forgot to go looking for this years Hopslam! I'll swing by some places after work today, hopefully someone has it still. Not a fan of how expensive it is getting. Saw someone post about getting a sixxer in DC for $25.99!!
    I am going to try to remember to swing by Total Wine on the way home and see if they have any. I keep forgetting that the new location in Ballston is open.