Thread: Cyclist struck from Penn Ave U-turn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cyclist struck from Penn Ave U-turn

Not even 12hrs passed since removing barriers on Penn Ave bike lane and I'm struck by an illegal uturn. East bound at about 800 Penn Ave, NW. Broken shifter, other damaged bike parts, clothing and shoes. No fractures. pic.twitter.com/kgjrcPoIJO

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, sorry to hear and glad it's not you that's broken!

Barriers were removed from the 15th Street cycletrack days ago. It was an uneasy feeling riding uphill past the White House a foot or two from oncoming traffic.

I hesitate to say next week will feel anything close to "normal" but I'll be glad when the fences are gone and the barriers are back.

3. Likes bunderwunder, secstate liked this post
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! Scary picture. Glad you are okay. Bike parts can be fixed; body parts, not so much. Was the driver cited by police? I'd send the pic and headline to the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts; it is responsible for Penn Ave. The same folks that were so concerned with the barriers looking ugly and fought them forever. Sigh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Yikes! Scary picture. Glad you are okay. Bike parts can be fixed; body parts, not so much. Was the driver cited by police? I'd send the pic and headline to the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts; it is responsible for Penn Ave. The same folks that were so concerned with the barriers looking ugly and fought them forever. Sigh.
    Thank you, I'd appreciate them hearing! The driver was actually a fed special agent about to report on duty. I know I should have, but didn't call police right then. It was chaos down there and a protest group was approaching. I took photos, and gathered info from him with an agreement to circle back next week. I'm also a fed with multiple resources to follow up with him if need be.

6. Likes KLizotte, secstate, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunderwunder View Post
    Thank you, I'd appreciate them hearing! The driver was actually a fed special agent about to report on duty. I know I should have, but didn't call police right then. It was chaos down there and a protest group was approaching. I took photos, and gathered info from him with an agreement to circle back next week. I'm also a fed with multiple resources to follow up with him if need be.
    If he was in a Government vehicle or being paid, this should have been reported to authorities. Certainly this needs to be reported to his Agency's OIG...

8. Likes KLizotte, consularrider liked this post