Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loopy For Arlington Pointless Prize

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loopy For Arlington Pointless Prize

Although I don't personally understand it, I feel for those deprived of their Hains Point laps this week. So if you still feel the need to ride in a big circle, you can get a jump on this late entry to the Pointless Prize list (thanks to hozn for helping me work out the technical issues).

The Loopy for Arlington Pointless Prize is for completing the most Arlington Loops (for the uninitiated: W&OD Trail from the Custis intersection to its eastern terminus, 4-Mile Run Trail from Shirlington Rd. to its eastern terminus, the MVT from DCA to its northern terminus at Roosevelt Island, and the whole Custis trail). Actually there will be 3 prizes: Most Clockwise Loops, Most Counter-Clockwise Loops, and Most Total Loops.

How do you play?

Unlike Hains Point laps, the Arlington Loop can actually get you to useful places, so you don't have to literally ride the entire trail route to count a completed loop, and you don't have to do a complete loop in a single ride either (for example, you can do half the loop on your morning commute, and the other half on your evening commute). A loop is counted each time you collect all 8 short segments located near the trail intersection points.

For a clockwise loop, collect these Strava segments:

ArLoopCW1
    ArLoopCW2
    ArLoopCW3
    ArLoopCW4
    ArLoopCW5
    ArLoopCW6
    ArLoopCW7
    ArLoopCW8

For a counterclockwise loop, collect these Strava segments:

ArLoopCCW1
    ArLoopCCW2
    ArLoopCCW3
    ArLoopCCW4
    ArLoopCCW5
    ArLoopCCW6
    ArLoopCCW7
    ArLoopCCW8

The prizes will be, of course, specially inscribed commemorative boxes of Fruit Loops.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Liked despite the slanderous and libelous remarks about Hains Point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Anything that gets people actually riding bikes rather than going insane in the Hamster Wheel is good in my book.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post

How do you play?
    A loop is counted each time you collect all 8 short segments located near the trail intersection points.

Question: Is there a time limit within which one collects the segments? That is, at the end of FS, if I have collected all the clockwise segments 3 times, does that count for 3 loops even if the segments were from lots of different dates?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Question: Is there a time limit within which one collects the segments? That is, at the end of FS, if I have collected all the clockwise segments 3 times, does that count for 3 loops even if the segments were from lots of different dates?
    Yes. It's how many times you collect the segments during FS that counts. It makes for a simple data pull and computation of the winners.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I don't personally understand it, I feel for those deprived of their Hains Point laps this week. So if you still feel the need to ride in a big circle, you can get a jump on this late entry to the Pointless Prize list (thanks to hozn for helping me work out the technical issues).

The Loopy for Arlington Pointless Prize is for completing the most Arlington Loops (for the uninitiated: W&OD Trail from the Custis intersection to its eastern terminus, 4-Mile Run Trail from Shirlington Rd. to its eastern terminus, the MVT from DCA to its northern terminus at Roosevelt Island, and the whole Custis trail). Actually there will be 3 prizes: Most Clockwise Loops, Most Counter-Clockwise Loops, and Most Total Loops.

How do you play?

Unlike Hains Point laps, the Arlington Loop can actually get you to useful places, so you don't have to literally ride the entire trail route to count a completed loop, and you don't have to do a complete loop in a single ride either (for example, you can do half the loop on your morning commute, and the other half on your evening commute). A loop is counted each time you collect all 8 short segments located near the trail intersection points.

ArLoopCW1
    ArLoopCW2
    ArLoopCW3
    ArLoopCW4
    ArLoopCW5
    ArLoopCW6
    ArLoopCW7
    ArLoopCW8

ArLoopCCW1
    ArLoopCCW2
    ArLoopCCW3
    ArLoopCCW4
    ArLoopCCW5
    ArLoopCCW6
    ArLoopCCW7
    ArLoopCCW8

The prizes will be, of course, specially inscribed commemorative boxes of Fruit Loops.
    I'm still not seeing #6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBGanimal View Post
    I'm still not seeing #6
    Isn't this your ride?

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't this your ride?
    Yes! And I see it...sorry if I missed it before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default I ride Arlington Loop every day but I'll never get credit for this Prize :- (

Most know my familiar morning ride of the Arlington Loop going clockwise. For some sad reason TWO segments NEVER appear on my segment-list even though my ride picture and official segment histories clearly show I was there!
    Name:  scan.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  94.4 KB
    The culprits: ArloopCW2 ArloopCW5

For example see: https://www.strava.com/activities/845876337

Dang! I had a real shot at this prize!
    FFG

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Friendly Guy View Post
    Most know my familiar morning ride of the Arlington Loop going clockwise. For some sad reason TWO segments NEVER appear on my segment-list even though my ride picture and official segment histories clearly show I was there!
    Name:  scan.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  94.4 KB
    The culprits: ArloopCW2 ArloopCW5

For example see: https://www.strava.com/activities/845876337

Dang! I had a real shot at this prize!
    FFG
    I see these segments on the ride you posted. When you're looking at this ride, scroll all the way down to the bottom and click "Show 101 Hidden Efforts". CW2 and CW5 are both in the list of hidden segments.