The Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) will be meeting at 7 pm on January 16, 2017 at the Bradlee Safeway Community Room, 3526 King Street, Alexandria, Virginia.
Our guest speaker will be Tamara Evans, WABA’s Advocacy Director. Tamara will discuss WABA’s 2017 goals and WABA’s experience with Vision Zero. We’ll also provide an update on Alexandria’s efforts to become the first jurisdiction in Virginia to adopt a Vision Zero Policy.
1. Introductions – Chair, Jim Durham
2. Secretary’s report and minutes – Randy Cole
3. Financial Update - Treasurer’s report– Jerry King for Bob T
· Annual Dues of $25 requested4. Alexandria Police Liaison Report
· What percentage of 2016 pedestrian struck crashes in Alexandria involved “Failure to Yield to Pedestrians”?
· A 2013 report on “High-Visibility Enforcement on Driver Compliance with Pedestrian Right-of-Way Laws” suggests that High Visibility Enforcement (HVE) measures can enhance the effectiveness of enforcement. https://www.nhtsa.gov/document/high-...right-way-laws
5. Guest Speaker: Tamara Evans, Washington Area Bicyclists Association (WABA)
o Would these measures be expected to be effective in Alexandria? Why or why not?
· WABA’s 2017 Goals6. City Staff updates
· Vision Zero
7. BPAC Project Updates:
· Alexandria pedestrian safety issues – Jim Durham
o SE Old Town (Columbus Street and vic.)
o Duke Street at bus stop on south side near W. Taylor Run
o Met with pedestrian struck at N. Fairfax and Pendleton on 7 December
o Potomac Greens
· Bicycling in the Schools (BITS) Project Update - Eldon Boes
· Bike To Work Day volunteers. Here is the line-up so far; a few more sought:
o City Hall/Market Square - Jim Durham, Eldon Boes, plus one more
1. Plus Bruce Dwyer at the WABA table.
o Carlyle – Jerry King, Casey Kane, and Michael Menchel
o Del Ray – Dave Levy, Randy Dingwell.
· Vision Zero Sub-committee – Jerry King.8. BPAC Officer Elections in February
9. Commission Liaison and Outreach
a. Transportation Commission – Jerry King10. Public Comments:
b. Commission on Aging - - David Kaplan
c. DASH Board - David Kaplan
d. Environmental Policy Commission – Jim Durham
e. Parks and Recreation Commission - Dave Levy with Eliz Wright
f. Traffic and Parking Board – Randy Cole