Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclist Ticketed for Getting Hit At Custis/Lynn Intersection

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Cyclist Ticketed for Getting Hit At Custis/Lynn Intersection

Arlnow.com has posted a story about a cyclist who was ticketed for getting hit by a turning car at the infamous Lynn/Custis/MVT intersection. Expect serious anti-bike vitriol in the comments.

Comment Team, Assemble!

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there really a stop sign there? I've never once noticed it.

Are we really supposed to stop for it?

It's ambiguous and confusing, and it should be fixed.

My new policy is to never cross there except on the green part of the walk signal, so I should be okay anyway, legally and bodily.

Post Thanks / Like

As I understood it, the cyclist here crossed with the walk signal and was still ticketed for failing to stop before crossing. This is a similar set-up to what you see on the W&OD where there are stop signs at intersections that also have walk signals.

Post Thanks / Like

The comment about "once you enter the intersection you become a vehicle" is not exactly right either. It isn't legal for "vehicles" to drive in the cross walk across the street.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there is some seriously questionable judgement here and is, frankly, a very bad precedent with serious implications for everyone who uses the trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    The comment about "once you enter the intersection you become a vehicle" is not exactly right either. It isn't legal for "vehicles" to drive in the cross walk across the street.
    It's like the law is perpetuating the common driver complaint that bikes are cars when they want to be and pedestrians when they want to be. The law randomly chooses when to consider a bike a car and when to consider it, I don't know, a target?

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Exactly - even if bikes are vehicles on the street and subject to vehicle laws there, this is a joint bike/pedestrian trail crossing controlled by a walk signal that can't really be used any other way. Saying you're a vehicle there makes no sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    Yeah, there is some seriously questionable judgement here and is, frankly, a very bad precedent with serious implications for everyone who uses the trail.
    And people wonder why I call out "We're all gonna die!" as I enter that intersection EVERY SINGLE DAY????

To be completely fair, there are a remarkable number of cyclists who cross that intersection carrying way too much speed with their faith that having the green light will somehow protect them.

Simply having the correct attitude (for instance: assuming that no car sees you and that they will definitely not stop before hitting you) can definitely increase one's lifespan in the Rosslyn Death Zone. It takes two to tango. Cars should obey the rules and cyclists should show some sense of caution and self preservation.

That being said, the last few years I have seen a significant reduction in the number of times I've been hit at the Rosslyn intersections. It has not, however, completely eliminated them. I was hit almost 2 years ago by someone running the red light near the Marriott and last winter I had to take a dramatic swing to avoid someone running the red light going toward Key Bridge. My rather substantial hip put a similarly substantial dent in the sliding door of a minivan as a result. The frequency is less though, for which I'm happy.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I just tried to read some of the comments on that article, and now my head hurts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    I just tried to read some of the comments on that article, and now my head hurts.
    Remember, it is a scientifically proven fact that a person's IQ is reduced by 25-40% while they are in the process of leaving a comment on a blog post. Those people aren't REALLY that dumb. Mostly.