Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anomad's commuting adventures

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I'm attending training this week at "Homeland Security Acquisition Institute" over by Union Station (yawn). If anyone has the pleasure of attending classes there they have two large private bathrooms and a "wellness room". Not as good as a real locker room, but the bathrooms work well for changing. There are a couple good bike racks in the garage and usually two attendants keeping an eye on things. They're actually pretty nosy, so I always make a point to say good morning and let them know what I am up to and offer to show ID. The only downside is there's nowhere to hang your clothes unless you luck out and get a classroom with one of the little closets for extra chairs and stuff.

Started the ride home with my tights on this evening and got so warm I stopped and put them in my panniers. Riding in shorts in February is awesome!
    Darn, I wish I had known that a few weeks ago. I just finished two weeks of training there!

2. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This morning's commute was very unusual. There was a multi car accident at the Airport on ramp just South of Gravelly Point and the NPS had the Northbound lanes closed, using a pilot car. I rode the MVT all the way from Alexandria to Gravelly Point without any cars going North or any other bicyclists on the trail. Only 2 or 3 joggers and some rain drops. It was surreal.

Post Thanks / Like

Following a guy tonight with a Copenhagen Wheel tonight near the marina. He blew snot rockets without warning right when we all slowed down for traffic.

I gave him a stern look. Unforgivable.

I have that guys face permanently burned into my memory and will hold a grudge.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a yellow jacket or something fly in my jersey this morning and go to town on my ribs below my right arm pit. I haven't had that pleasure in a long time! Things didn't end well for the insect, but it went out fighting.

If you are allergic to stings its something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I had a yellow jacket or something fly in my jersey this morning and go to town on my ribs below my right arm pit. I haven't had that pleasure in a long time! Things didn't end well for the insect, but it went out fighting.

If you are allergic to stings its something to think about.
    I have now had at least 1 bee and 1 wasp down my sports bra over the past 2-3 years (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...ommute/page564), so I can feel your pain. I actually haven't gotten stung since last year's bee down the sports bra incident, so I'm due for another soon.

A colleague of mine is allergic to bees, and for that reason avoids biking or running on parts of the W&OD and a few other places with high numbers of bees.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Pro-tip: If a stinging insect flies into your jersey (or sports bra: I don't wear one), it should sting you only once. You don't need to take off any clothing to squish it. As soon as you feel that first sting, squish it with all your might such that you hear a satisfying crunching sound. You can empty it and its guts out afterward.

(caveat - does not work if bug is on your back)

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Pro-tip: If a stinging insect flies into your jersey (or sports bra: I don't wear one), it should sting you only once. You don't need to take off any clothing to squish it. As soon as you feel that first sting, squish it with all your might such that you hear a satisfying crunching sound. You can empty it and its guts out afterward.

That is only correct for certain bugs, others will sting repeatedly

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    That is only correct for certain bugs, others will sting repeatedly
    No, it is correct for all insects. Once squished and dead, it can no longer sting.

Post Thanks / Like

The one that was happily flying along and found itself inside my sweaty jersey popped me 4 or 5 times before I squashed it. I prefer the grab and pull away from body technique.

It happened in the middle of an intersection and I was barreling down on a group of young women with a baby stroller. So I made the decision to navigate all that before doing gymnastics to deal with the bug.

I didn't yell at the women and even gave a little ding from my bell as not to startle them. I think I deserve an extra application of cortisone ointment for that.

11. Likes Steve O, Judd, dbb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post

A honeybee's stinger will stick in you though and keep pumping the venom in. You gotta scrape the stinger out, not just squish the (poor) bee.