Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: DC Bike Ride - May 14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Ohh I thought you were a panda! Judd and I debated panda vs penguin. I was team panda, Judd was team penguin. I tried to wave when I recognized your voice but I was a little late. You and your dancing friend made me crack up. You guys were by far the best cheerleader group I encountered.
    Emm for the win. I was blinded by my knowledge that Kitty also owns a penguin outfit.

2. 05-16-2017, 08:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Emm for the win. I was blinded by my knowledge that Kitty also owns a penguin outfit.
    Of course Kitty was wearing her panda costume. The penguin ensemble is obviously for BAFS use only. Dressing as a penguin in May is like wearing white shoes after Labor Day.

4. Likes Kitty, Sunyata, streetsmarts, Steve O, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread has become disturbing on countless levels.

6. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few snippets from the ride:

8. Likes Lt. Dan, Birru, LhasaCM, mello yello liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post

Very nice - but I am now even more jealous of your smooth entry onto 395. (By the time we got there, it took us about 10 minutes to get through and past that point.) Why can't I just enjoy my ride as it was?!?!?

10. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post

The video needs more Biz!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Very nice - but I am now even more jealous of your smooth entry onto 395. (By the time we got there, it took us about 10 minutes to get through and past that point.) Why can't I just enjoy my ride as it was?!?!?
    The Judd types sailed right through. Don't have to worry about "no passing" when you're already passed everyone.

13. Likes streetsmarts, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Judd types sailed right through. Don't have to worry about "no passing" when you're already passed everyone.
    Lucky for wife and me, Judd turned up the heat at the beginning to get ahead of the crowd We couldn't keep up with his pace, so downshifted and enjoyed the scenery. You like how the guy gives me the thumbs up, then passes my wife in the No-Passing-Ride-Single-File Zone?

15. Likes streetsmarts, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And that was my problem - starting behind 6,000 people(*) - by the time we crossed over Maine Ave, it was a virtual standstill as we Flintstoned to get to the "no passing" zone. And with the trailercycle attached, I'm not the most nimble in working through a crowd. (To the contrary, a bunch of impatient folks forced their way past us in that section - so we had to pass them once again going over the river.)

(*) Since my wife decided the day before to join us on the ride, and she's not a regular rider, she opted to start in the Beginner corral.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    And that was my problem - starting behind 6,000 people(*)
    My recommendation--get to the front of the advanced group next year if you and your family are confident riders (sounds like you might want to work with your wife to get her more confident first though.) I was in the middle of the first wave of advanced riders, and like Judd, I found it to be clear and smooth sailing once I got out of Hains Point. There were points I couldn't see anyone in front or behind me it was so empty. This is even after stopping twice so I could take off my jacket and use a restroom. But there were confident kids, tandem bikes, and other slower riders in the advanced group, so you wouldn't be out of place there as long as everyone is confident handling their bike.

18. Likes streetsmarts liked this post