Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Bike Ride - May 14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    Was it fun last year? Who's going? Will it rain and be cold??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Not really. I am. Probably.

The best part of the ride last year was getting coffee afterwards with Ed, Reba, LSG and Komorebi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The best part of the ride last year was getting coffee afterwards with Ed, Reba, LSG and Komorebi.
    But isn't that like every other day at various coffee clubs?

3. Likes Judd, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year was pretty "Meh" for me as well--upping the course to 20 mi helped... but the price is just... rough. So this year I said if I participated (penidng moving, parental visit etc.), it would be as a volunteer. Well, I was able to sign up as a "Course Marshal." I won't be leading the parade, but I get to ride the course to my post and then wave at folks/warn them of some poorly considered course design kink/both.

So be on the look out for me somewhere on Maine Ave on the home stretch to the finish line! I'll be cheering you on and hopefully wearing something silly!

5. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    ...some poorly considered course design kink...

I like my bike routes to be as kinky as possible.

7. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mello yello View Post
    But isn't that like every other day at various coffee clubs?
    Yes. So the best thing that I can say about DC Bike Ride is that it is like going to work on a Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone who biked this last year see how bad parking was at Gravely Point?

This will be my husband's first bike ride in about 2 years, and he's made it clear he can't handle the full ride from S. Alexandria to DC, 20 mile DC Bike Ride, and then back home, so I'm trying to find a closer place to park and then ride into the city. Gravely Point seems the obvious choice, but I'm worried it might be a nuthouse. Does anyone remember it being crazy last year?

My other option is parking at the shopping center at the Rt 1 and 4 MRT intersection or in Del Ray, but that's a few extra miles out. My husband chickens out on these things all the time at the last minute, so I'm really hoping to find something close enough to get him back on his bike so he can remember how awesome it is and begin riding to work again soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post

This will be my husband's first bike ride in about 2 years, and he's made it clear he can't handle the full ride from S. Alexandria to DC, 20 mile DC Bike Ride, and then back home, so I'm trying to find a closer place to park and then ride into the city. Gravely Point seems the obvious choice, but I'm worried it might be a nuthouse. Does anyone remember it being crazy last year?

My other option is parking at the shopping center at the Rt 1 and 4 MRT intersection or in Del Ray, but that's a few extra miles out. My husband chickens out on these things all the time at the last minute, so I'm really hoping to find something close enough to get him back on his bike so he can remember how awesome it is and begin riding to work again soon.
    Long Bridge Park might be an option. Going through LBJ Grove will obviously take a little longer but it's probably better than Potomac Yards.

11. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnelson View Post
    Long Bridge Park might be an option. Going through LBJ Grove will obviously take a little longer but it's probably better than Potomac Yards.

Columbia Island Marina, then you don't even have to ride through the grove, just ride over the Humpback bridge to the 14th Street bridge.

13. Likes tnelson, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post

Parking is free in the Crystal City garages on the weekends, IIRC.

15. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Parking is free in the Crystal City garages on the weekends, IIRC.
    Not if you forget your bike's in a roof rack on top of your car

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

17. Likes Steve O, Judd, Emm liked this post