Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: !Meeting Update! Attendees Needed! Washington Blvd Bike Lanes Meeting 3/1 5pm-8pm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    If I remember correctly, some of the houses on that stretch do not have driveways.
    Yeah, that's the dilemma. The bike lane in that stretch is basically removing de facto driveways for a few homeowners. I can appreciate they'd be pretty upset about that. I really don't like the re-routing option though. It seems half-baked and needlessly long. I'd much rather take the lane in that stretch and perhaps traffic calming measures would have been a better compromise.

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly, some of the houses on that stretch do not have driveways.
    ONE. ONE doesn't have a driveway.

3. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at street view. Along the section without the bike lane, all the houses west of Ohio have driveways. I counted 4 just east of Ohio without. That's it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    ONE. ONE doesn't have a driveway.
    Ah---certainly wasn't portrayed that way. Makes it a good question to harp on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    I'd much rather take the lane in that stretch and perhaps traffic calming measures would have been a better compromise.
    These kinds of solutions are what the BAC and advocacy groups are trying to move beyond. They (maybe) work for people who already ride bikes. Shoot, I'd ride along Washington as is if need be. The point is that we need to build infrastructure that serves those who don't feel confident or safe riding their bikes in these areas. Even the original plan fell short, IMO, in reaching that goal, but our aspiration must be to build infrastructure that serves Isabella, not Steve O.

7. Likes Sunyata, KLizotte, Birru liked this post
    ELITE chris_s ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    These kinds of solutions are what the BAC and advocacy groups are trying to move beyond. They (maybe) work for people who already ride bikes. Shoot, I'd ride along Washington as is if need be. The point is that we need to build infrastructure that serves those who don't feel confident or safe riding their bikes in these areas. Even the original plan fell short, IMO, in reaching that goal, but our aspiration must be to build infrastructure that serves Isabella, not Steve O.

9. Likes bobco85, Birru liked this post
    ELITE chris_s, Steve O ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These are all really good points. I agree that the original plan fails the "Isabella test" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    LMAO you must have that in your pocket at all times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I am only heartened because I saw a ton of cyclists around Pentagon City
    So that would be 12 or 15, right?

12. Likes Judd liked this post
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

So that would be 12 or 15, right?
    Yeah but in a fairly small area and I was dock blocked for the first when I arrived home on Cabi.

14. Likes chris_s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't think about it until I read this comment on the Greater Greater Washington article about this, but there's a specific structure that the potential bike lanes are being rerouted around. (I'll give you a hint before you read it: what starts with a "c" and is related to reduced bike infrastructure?): https://ggwash.org/view/63150/arling...comment_339296

No bike lanes because we need to keep street parking in a neighborhood where everyone has a driveway or a garage.
    The detour is so the church can keep its diagonal parking. Parking for a few hours a week is greater than cyclist safety.
    When I read it, I immediately looked at Google Maps and BAM! there it was, a block of diagonal parking with signs saying "45 degree parking only on Sundays"

While it's not proof, it certainly SEEMS to fit with past experiences