Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: !Meeting Update! Attendees Needed! Washington Blvd Bike Lanes Meeting 3/1 5pm-8pm

Post Thanks / Like

Default !Meeting Update! Attendees Needed! Washington Blvd Bike Lanes Meeting 3/1 5pm-8pm

VDOT will be repaving Washington Blvd from East Falls Church to Westover this Spring. The County has developed a new striping plan for after the repaving that would introduce bike lanes throughout the repaved stretch, often with 2-3' of buffer between the lanes and moving traffic. This would stitch together a number of existing pieces of bike infrastructure in the area - the new lanes on Washington Blvd near 66, the Sycamore Street lanes, Ohio Street lanes as well as connecting a number of important places - the East Falls Church Metro, Swanson Middle School, the Westover Library, and the Westover Commercial District & Farmer's Market.

What's the catch? A fair amount of on-street parking on Washington Blvd would be removed. Most of the adjacent homes have driveways and there is ample on-street parking available on the side-streets, but you know how people feel about the parking in front of their house...

A public meeting is being held on Wednesday January 18th from 5pm-8pm at the Westover Library. Please come out and speak-up for better bike facilities! Spread the word!

Chris

2. Likes bobco85, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw this in the WABA email that I received yesterday and will be there. I presume that I do not have to be there the entire time, but just need to show up to express support, correct? I think that the traffic calming angle should also be helpful because I expect that Washington Blvd will get more traffic when Rt 66 goes to HOT.

4. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got it on the calendar but it will be challenging for me to get there on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Got it on the calendar but it will be challenging for me to get there on time.
    I raised that issue last night at the BAC meeting. Turns out this is a drop-in event. You absolutely don't need to come at 5 pm. They are doing a second presentation at 7 pm, so that is when I'll be aiming to arrive by. Great if we can get a strong turnout, even if it's only for that last hour from 7 to 8 pm. (Or just for a few minutes, even, to write something on the wall.) And the Westover Beer Garden is next door....

7. Likes dasgeh, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This one is being justified with the dubious rationale that "Sidewalks will be more comfortable for walking due to buffering provided by the new bike lanes." This is similar to, but more vague than the "Improving pedestrian safety" excuse for the bike lane along Wilson Boulevard @ Bluemont. Has anyone out there seen any data to indicate that sidewalks in the county are dangerous and anxiety-inducing, or is this one of those post-fact things?

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    This one is being justified with the dubious rationale that "Sidewalks will be more comfortable for walking due to buffering provided by the new bike lanes." This is similar to, but more vague than the "Improving pedestrian safety" excuse for the bike lane along Wilson Boulevard @ Bluemont. Has anyone out there seen any data to indicate that sidewalks in the county are dangerous and anxiety-inducing, or is this one of those post-fact things?
    That was undoubtedly true on Wilson; sidewalks there were much less comfortable to walk on before the road diet (moving cars were literally 2-3 feet away). Here on Washington Blvd. the sidewalks are set farther away from traffic, so I think this "reason" is more dubious.

Post Thanks / Like

If this project will remove the Washington Blvd parking in front of the Lutheran church, I'd imagine that could generate some strong push back. I like the idea of putting a dedicated left turn lane on Ohio Street to Washington Blvd westbound, so that motorists no longer use the bicycle lane on Ohio Street as a right turn lane.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    If this project will remove the Washington Blvd parking in front of the Lutheran church, I'd imagine that could generate some strong push back.
    It will not. They are looking at the other side of the street, partly for that reason.

12. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    That was undoubtedly true on Wilson; sidewalks there were much less comfortable to walk on before the road diet (moving cars were literally 2-3 feet away). Here on Washington Blvd. the sidewalks are set farther away from traffic, so I think this "reason" is more dubious.
    I don't know this sidewalk as well, but on Wilson (and in lots of other places in the County), the sidewalks just aren't wide enough. What isn't said is that adding a bike lane gives people another place to push strollers, run, etc for those segments that are too narrow. I don't like it, but if there's no option to widen the sidewalk, it isn't the worst outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I like the idea of putting a dedicated left turn lane on Ohio Street to Washington Blvd westbound, so that motorists no longer use the bicycle lane on Ohio Street as a right turn lane.
    I take this to mean that there will be a left turn lane on Washington from left turns onto Ohio. Seems sort of ridiculous since I've never seen a backup there.

The only place I find stressful in this corridor is between Sycamore and Lee Highway. I don't see any space for bike lanes there.