Likes Likes:  83
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2017 Coffeecatting "Challenge"

Post Thanks / Like

Entry #13 is a soy latte back at the Baked Wire in Washington DC at another #FCC1. I was celebrating my new #coffeeneuring patch which I got hand delivered by Ms. Coffeeneur who was in at tendency. @SteveO wasn't present but I may have eaten a breakfast bisquet intended for him.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Entry #14 is obviously a soy latte with an egg and avocado breakfast back at Cafe Kindred (again) in Falls Church after Church service, on my way home, during the first week of January. Mileage was 7 miles RT on the klunker bike. There were snow flurries that morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Entry #15 is a soy latte at the Door & Rivet in Bristol UK before the inaugural Sunday Social Ride of the volunteers from the Bristol Bike Project where I moonlight as a mechanic for newbies and those in need of transportation. This was a ride to the Clevedon Riviera which I extended into a half century by riding +14 miles solo on my Jamis Renegade Expert.

Post Thanks / Like

So, um, you're slightly late. Then again, apparently, so is my prize—it got mailed to Proteus on a wing and a whim.

But:
    There's a lot of talk about "slow coffee, good coffee" these days, but starting it the afternoon before?
    Also, I'm a sucker for a good bagel-and-fish.
    For services to caffeinated enlightenment, and enlightening the caffeinated, this year's Barista Merit Badge goes to lordofthemark

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Not to put myself forth as an expert on Jewish law (halacha) but I do have an interest in the halacha of biking.
    The forbidden activity is "carrying". It is not permitted to carry an item outside an enclosed place on shabbat. But in that I am just as much in violation carrying an umbrella, or keys in my pocket. Someone driving a car is both carrying and igniting combustion, and is definitely in violation. My movement, Conservative Judaism, decades ago explicitly allowed driving for those who live outside walking distance of a synagogue. Given that, and that biking is clearly a lesser violation than driving, I feel fine biking to shul. Of course if I were more observant I would not post on shabbat. Someday.
    Oh my goodness, how did I miss a 77 page paper from the Conservative movement on the question of exercize on shabbat, with a section explicitly dicussing issues relating to biking. I will get back to y'all on this when I have had time to read and digest it.

https://www.rabbinicalassembly.org/s...ts-shabbat.pdf

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Oh my goodness, how did I miss a 77 page paper from the Conservative movement on the question of exercize on shabbat, with a section explicitly dicussing issues relating to biking. I will get back to y'all on this when I have had time to read and digest it.

https://www.rabbinicalassembly.org/s...ts-shabbat.pdf
    quick notes

for those who view driving on Shabbat to synagogue as impermissible,
    riding a bicycle to services is preferable to traveling by car. Indeed, even those who permit
    driving to communal worship on Shabbat might find cycling preferable. Biking is undoubtedly a
    greener alternative and makes one more a part of the natural landscape -- Shabbat-compatible
    qualities which add to its superiority over the automobile as a mode of transportation for the sake
    of participating in Jewish communal life.76

Yay!!!!! This, so much this!

We would limit the permissibility of riding a bicycle on Shabbat, however, to the
    following set of circumstances: 1) to fulfill only those divrei mitzvah which take place on
    Shabbat, e.g., for a mohel to officiate at a brit milah or for an individual to attend services or
    programs of a specifically religious nature; 2) to obviate the need to drive to the synagogue on
    Shabbat. In an area where the local synagogue is within comfortable walking distance, cycling
    would not be a permissible substitute for walking;
    3) the entire ride takes place within the limits
    of an eruv; 4) it is understood that the concern of shema yitaken remains -- in no way should this
    specific exemption be construed as a green light to change a tire or fix one’s gears on Shabbat
    because one is riding to shul.

Boo! Since I can walk to shul - but can I say that the 40 minute walk via Fairlington is not comfortable? Maybe that is addressed further in the responsa? Or I can ask my rabbi? (of course people who live that close drive, but they are clearly in violation)

Also I need to make sure that putting a chain that has fallen off back on the gears does not count as "fixing".