Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Beerneuring Freezing Saddles Side Bet is Back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Touche....

But the most I have ever done in one day is seven, so this is going to be an adventure for sure.

However, I do think maybe I will organize a W&OD brewery ride a little later in the competition to hit up some of the outer breweries in VA. Stayed tuned for more detail on that later this month!
    I would be very interested in joining that

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default #1 - jrenaut - Atlas Brew Works

#1 Atlas Brew Works Silent Neighbor American Stout - a perfect companion for a very cold day

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jrenaut; 01-09-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Add title

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    #1 Atlas Brew Works Silent Neighbor American Stout - a perfect companion for a very cold day
    Peter and I went to Atlas yesterday, and after a good sampling of their offerings, that Silent Neighbor nitro stout was the one we liked most. I have to say none of them were real winners -- YMMV. Since we each had a flight plus a couple extra tastings, I would've hoped something jumped out more, but most of them were just kinda bizarre.

Also, though a sustainability group I belong to had organized the tour, they kinda forgot to talk about the solar panels. Oh well.

No beerneuring points for me, we didn't ride there (during the blizzard). And I do want to go back someday to visit the distilleries nearby!

4. Likes streetsmarts, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Peter and I went to Atlas yesterday, and after a good sampling of their offerings, that Silent Neighbor nitro stout was the one we liked most. I have to say none of them were real winners -- YMMV. Since we each had a flight plus a couple extra tastings, I would've hoped something jumped out more, but most of them were just kinda bizarre.

Also, though a sustainability group I belong to had organized the tour, they kinda forgot to talk about the solar panels. Oh well.

No beerneuring points for me, we didn't ride there (during the blizzard). And I do want to go back someday to visit the distilleries nearby!
    I'm a big fan of their flagship IPA, the Ponzi, and the Rowdy Rye. But yes, you should come back for the distilleries. I keep meaning to do that but the wife isn't big on liquor so it's harder to schedule

6. Likes ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default #2 - jrenaut - The Public Option

#2 The Public Option Sam's Stout

This is my favorite brewery in DC. It's all about the atmosphere. The beer is good, the atmosphere is sublime

Last edited by jrenaut; 01-09-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Add title

8. Likes streetsmarts, ginacico, sjclaeys liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Traveled out the snowy W&OD with Boomer to Caboose in Vienna. Ashamed to admit this was my first trip there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-08 16.23.10.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	13098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-08 16.11.13.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	13099
    Had the flight shown above. Liked 3 out of 4 - not so much the Ghost; too spicy for me.
    The Box Car was a nice brown ale, smooth with good body.

10. Likes ianh, Nadine, sjclaeys, streetsmarts, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #1

Thirteen breweries proved to be too lofty a goal but in the end 12 hearty souls joined at various points while four of us stuck it out from beginning to end for a total of nine breweries throughout the day.

Mile 1 - Capitol City Brewing - Jalapeno Pale Rider Ale - mildly hoppy pale ale with a peppery hot kick at the finish.

Name:	0A4A5D66-28DF-4B05-B169-4D7628A62634.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	13104

12. Likes sjclaeys, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #2

Next stop was to be Sehkraft and we were there right when they opened at 11 am. Except they weren't open. A women came out and explained their opening would be delayed until noon. Not terribly surprising considering they're closing for good on Tuesday. On to Right Proper Shaw it was...

Mile 10.9 - Right Proper Shaw - Astral Weeks - I dig the Van Morrison album this beer is named for and I'm partial to Brett hopped beers partially because I have a brother named Brett. Golden in color, this crisp farmhouse ale has a funky citrus thing going on.

Name:	5DE5A5B6-0D78-4D90-ACD4-8DADD0E15B5D.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	13105

14. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #3

Next it was a long slog (but in the snow so it was pretty and fun) north to Denizens in Silver Spring. It was warm inside and they have a really nice hot air hand dryer that works great for thawing out hands and drying your neck gaiter.

Mile 19.3 - Denizens - Safety Pin Session IPA - Continuing down the path of choosing sessionable ales, this is a recently released brew that goes down smooth with hints of citrus and pine. Reminded me of the Founders All Day IPA.

Name:	47A6C5F3-0109-4867-A5B9-AE873B4EF591.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	13106

16. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #1

Like ctankcycles said, 13 proved to be a lofty goal for a snowy and cold (and short daylighted day). So we ended up at nine. I am only going to count eight, though since one of them (3 Stars) I only had tiny samples of their beer.

So, without further ado...

Beer #1 - Jalepeno Pale Rider from Capital City Brewing in Shirlington. I am not really the best at describing beer, but the spice was just right - the perfect amount of bite without the burning tongue afterwards. It was the perfect 10am beer!

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	13109

18. Likes ctankcycles, sjclaeys, jrenaut liked this post