Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Beerneuring Freezing Saddles Side Bet is Back!

Post Thanks / Like

Found 6 micro breweries sharing an industrial site, and tasting room, in Baltimore. Bartender tells me they are six independent beer making operations. How will this count? It's less than two miles from the MARC station, if anyone is wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Stopped at 3 Stars last weekend. Enjoyed madness, ghost, and zombie date night. There seems to be some scary theme going on.

And Blue Jacket this weekend. Love the the huge space with all those vats. Got a flight of IPA's and golden lager. Enjoyed the Full Fathom 5.

3. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwetzel View Post
    Found 6 micro breweries sharing an industrial site, and tasting room, in Baltimore. Bartender tells me they are six independent beer making operations. How will this count? It's less than two miles from the MARC station, if anyone is wondering.
    Field trip?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #12

We took a nice little excursion to Loudoun County yesterday and hit up six breweries. Two of which I had already been to this Freezing Saddles.

The first stop was Dog Money, which is a new-ish brew pub. The service was pretty incredible (granted, we were their only customers for about an hour) and the food was pretty on point. The beer, on the other hand was pretty generic. I had the English-Style Ale (seriously, that was the name of it). It was pretty non-descript and really could have used more of a bitter bite to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	13714

The second stop was Loudoun Brewing Company, which was great as always. Those that had never been before were pretty impressed with the homey feel of it. I had their newest brew, the Bombastic Ale, which was an American Strong Ale. It was boozy and full of flavour. Even though this stop does not count, here is a photo of the delicious beer being drank on my favourite couch!

Name:	IMG_0884.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	13715

6. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #13

The next stop was Black Walnut Brewing. This was only the second time I have been to this brewery. They have free popcorn. And apparently their upstairs is almost as cozy as Loudoun's.

Here, I had the Maple Brown Ale. It was pretty standard as far as brown ales go. I really wish it had a bit more of a maple kick to it.

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	13716

We then went to Crooked Run, which I visited a couple of weeks ago. There, we ran into a couple of friends (and an accidental Team 21 infiltration!). I had the Red Kolsch, which I had not had before. It was light, which I needed at that point and pretty refreshing. Again, does not count, but photo!

Name:	IMG_0899.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	13718
    Last edited by Sunyata; 02-13-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Oh yeah, stop number 4...

8. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #14

Second to last stop was Lost Rhino. I am not a huge fan of theirs, but since we were out there we stopped by.

I had the Saison d'Anomalie, which was actually pretty darn good. It was yeasty and refreshing.

Name:	IMG_0911.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	13719

I also snagged some of the sour beer that Jan was drinking, and that was delicious. I wish I had gotten a full one of that.

We also had a giant pretzel and beer cheese. SO much beer cheese!

10. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #15

The last official stop of the day was Old Ox. This was about 8 beers in for me and by this time, I had stopped putting comments on Untappd, so I can only tell you what I had and what I rated it at.

I had the War Wagon Red, which I vaguely remember being good, but not excellent (I rated it a 3.75). I also ended up drinking a fair amount of whatever it was that Dane had (he did not check it in, so I have no clue what it was). I heard that the Hoppier Place Galaxy was pretty fan-freaking-tastic, so I am bummed I did not get that. Good thing I have a bicycle and know where the brewery is...

Name:	IMG_0916.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	13720

12. Likes sjclaeys, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #4: Adroit Theory, Rum Raisin Barleywine (Ghost 524), 1/21

Nom, nom, nom. Very well balanced, a dry sweetness. Description spot on. "Dark and inviting, a warming sensation as you're sip brings out hints of rum and raisin. A decadent truth that is loaded with full-bodied & sticky malts, caramel & strong alcohol notes of rum. Dried fruit notes of dates & prunes meld into a maple like sweetness with rum overtones." The perfect beer to start out a Purcellville pub crawl (i.e. ride).

Name:	rum raisin.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	13797

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #5: Corcoran Brewing Company, FU Cancer, 1/21

Much more balanced than I expected from a milk/coffee stout. Not too sweet, not too coffee. A favorite. Others sampled there were Accidental Amber Lager, Mosby's Raiders Double IPA (I am a local history librarian, after all), John Champe and Oatlands.

Name:	FU Cancer.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	13798

15. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #6: Jack's Run Brewing Company, Mornin' Joe, 1/21

I would have this for breakfast. Unlike the last oatmeal stout at New District, which was more beer than oatmeal.

Name:	Mornin Joe.jpeg 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	13799

17. Likes sjclaeys liked this post