Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize: Guess Your Final Score

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    I'm a newbie, so I'm not exactly sure how all this stuff works. But I'm assuming I get at least a point for each mile. Also not sure what my proper user name is. I'm AlanA here on the forum and Alan Adams on the Strava group leaderboard. If there's another username, I'm not aware of it.

But I will be very optimistic and guess 3,456.
    Hi Alan. Rules and scoring information and a variety of links can be found here.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...nt-Information

Post Thanks / Like

Rod S 4187

Post Thanks / Like

Default Math is fun!

If it helps anyone with making their predictions, I found it easier to determine how to achieve my goal by calculating an average weekly distance based on a predicted number of ride days.

FYI there are 78 days for Freezing Saddles 2017 which means there are ~11 weeks.

For fun, you can use the formula w = (p - 10d) / 11 (w is your weekly average, p is your prediction, and d is your number of predicted ride days) to find your needed weekly average.

In my case, my prediction is 2250 points.
    • Based on previous years, I'm likely to miss 5 ride days due to travel/sickness/etc.
    • Ride days would be 78 - 5 = 73. That gives a total of 73 X 10 = 730 points.
    • The remaining points would be the number of miles I need to ride which is 2250 - 730 = 1520 miles.
    • My average weekly distance to achieve this would then be 1520 / 11 = ~138.2 miles/week.

If I wanted to achieve my stretch goal of 2500 points, my weekly average would need to be 161 miles/week.
    Last edited by bobco85; 01-06-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Contest ends March 19, not on the equinox, so 78 days

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    FYI there are 79 days for Freezing Saddles 2017
    Actually, 78. Last year was a leap year. So if the whole contest seems shorter to you this year, you'll know why.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, my guess is 1345! And my FS name is just "Sara" because I think I'm the only non-H Sara in the competition this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Actually, 78. Last year was a leap year. So if the whole contest seems shorter to you this year, you'll know why.
    I had factored in 28 days for February, but I added March 20, the spring equinox, as a day, so my calculations were thrown off. I have now corrected them, but thanks for pointing out the ride day error.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's go for 1,100 for me (Erin).

This a stretch estimate/goal for me, being that last year my total was 0, and my calculation left me with around 800 as my more realistic goal based on my commuting habits. We'll see though--maybe I'll go even higher

Post Thanks / Like

Post guess

My guess is (2525)
    b
    b
    b

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob C - final score (already achieved) - 35
    Last edited by rcannon100; 01-06-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Hopefully the massive accomplishments of the Slacker team isnt too threatening to certain people

10. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edita View Post
    My guess is (2525)
    b
    b
    b
    This 2525?

More to the point, I don't show you as registered for Freezing Saddles at all. Did you use a different forum name?
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 01-06-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: I can't find the registration for edita.

12. Likes streetsmarts, AlanA liked this post