Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Winter weather tips thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter weather tips thread?

Snow just means no pinch flats, so let out the air and ride! The last two years that's about all I've ever done to handle the snow. I just flat my tires down to 20-40 psi and all is well. Besides falling in the snow can be fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ewilliams0305 View Post
    Snow just means no pinch flats, so let out the air and ride! The last two years that's about all I've ever done to handle the snow. I just flat my tires down to 20-40 psi and all is well. Besides falling in the snow can be fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Falling in the snow is one thing. Falling on ice is quite another. We've lost a few teammates over the years that way.

4. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epilsk View Post
    The best bargain in wool, especially for base layers, are those old sweaters with holes in them you (if you are like me) have stuffed in the back of drawers, closets, and bins. Wool is wool and you already paid for those old sweaters. You can be cheap and warm!
    The sweater rack is usually my first visit at thrift stores. Merino, cashmere, alpaca - natural fibers are the way to go and at thrift shops are usually in the $5-8 range.

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the video is overblown, it's meant to be a test for the SlipNot chains. I don't think I'd want to test a product on a surface where if it fails I'd actually crash hard.

Also: photos of riding on snow/ice/whatever are one thing. Riding on a road shared with car traffic and suddenly sliding out on black ice is another. YMMV. \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    I'm reluctant to do that, because it's not like Ohio, in which there is a season in which snow is always on the ground. Most times, the extra traction is required only for a week or less at a time, and I don't want my ride slowed down for months in order to cover isolated weeks.

I think the Slipnots will be my best option. Just keeping my fingers crossed that they will work well with my rim brakes and fenders. (The site says I need only a quarter inch of clearance, and I should have that.)
    Understood, given your commute distance, and agreed. Hope that they work for you!

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    FWIW, there are a few models of folding studded tires. After splashing out for some 45NRTH Xerxes (folding) tires last winter, my opinion on studded tires (i.e. "horrible slog") has changed dramatically.
    Aww, man now I'm tempted to get one... or two.

8. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess you can wear some of your weird uncle's old sweaters if you want to look like a cycling hobo or whatever, but it might be worth it to splurge and buy a wool long sleeve cycling jersey. That, paired with a long sleeve base layer will keep you squared away down into the high 30s and you can even layer a matching (black) lightweight windbreaker if the wind is ridiculous.

10. Likes KayakCyndi, ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    ELITE TwoWheelsDC ELITED this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    I guess you can wear some of your weird uncle's old sweaters if you want to look like a cycling hobo or whatever, but it might be worth it to splurge and buy a wool long sleeve cycling jersey. That, paired with a long sleeve base layer will keep you squared away down into the high 30s and you can even layer a matching (black) lightweight windbreaker if the wind is ridiculous.
    You just described what I wore today exactly! .....in the second part, not the hobo part.

12. Likes KayakCyndi, ShawnoftheDread, Subby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Jersey and a base layer down to 30...c'mon...high 30's???

14. Likes Steve O liked this post
    ELITE DismalScientist, Subby ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I wasn't making any assumptions about your particular commute; I was reacting to the video. You, (not me, you) could take any of your bikes out on that road and ride down it at 10-12 mph without any problem. No special tires or chains or zip ties required. It doesn't require any secret, special skill that only I know. Moving bikes are stable and will stay up. You just have to believe. In fact, you would likely have more problem at a "uselessly slow speed" than at a moderate speed. Yes, slower than clear pavement, but not that much.
    That bike he had? Same thing. Without the chains, he could have just gotten on and started riding down the street. Now he couldn't have done the slaloming and that sort of thing, but if he just wanted to ride it, he could have--using the bicycle skills he already has.
    Does that mean special tires wouldn't be appropriate for other circumstances? Sure. I just found the video to be overblown in that regard.
    The "slaloming and that sort of thing" are the kind of handling abilities that make it possible to dodge debris or make sudden turns and stops to avoid, say, being right-hooked by cars making turns directly into or in front of you. Being able to respond quickly to hazards without falling down in front of large moving vehicles (which are also going to be less able than normal to respond quickly without going sliding) is exactly the type of ability that makes you safer riding in traffic.

16. Likes vvill, wheels&wings, Sunyata, Tim Kelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is where we say "Poor Steve O" right?

18. Likes vvill, Subby, ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    Jersey and a base layer down to 30...c'mon...high 30's???
    Too much time in the saddle has restricted blood flow to the portion of his brain that responds appropriately to hot and cold.

20. Likes Amalitza liked this post